Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who actually rides in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 06:43 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I will ride in a light rain when on a trip. Here are pics of rain w/ hail and why out west when it looks like rain, get off the highway. Being safe is more important than the ride sometimes.

Attached Thumbnails So who actually rides in the rain?-usa-trip-004.jpg   So who actually rides in the rain?-usa-trip-008.jpg  
Old 05-03-2011, 07:06 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I will keep going if I get caught in the rain or I will leave to ride if I can see it is almost gone from the radar but I am not going to go riding when it is going to rain all day. Way more dangerous with all the idiot cagers in the rain.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 AM
audettd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have any issues with riding in the rain when I'm out touring and this is what has to be done....but to just go out riding around town or locally when its raining isn't my idea of fun.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:06 AM
MysticTraveler
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I only ride in the rain when I'm out on a tour and it can't be avoided. I doesn't bug me to be wet or cold. It's the bike cleanup afterwards that I hate. It always seems to leave a dirty film all over the bike... and that is a lot of nooks and crannys to clean up afterwards.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:56 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Being in the PGR I ride in all weather conditions and certainly lots of rain, Only time I will not is if it is is at night. Just too much stress. Of course it helps to have a good rain gear such as the HD Hi Vis. Some of the best money I have spent.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 PM
julesdain
Road Captain

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowRain
I will ride in the rain when I get caught in it...or if it is a road trip (where for some reason, I always seem to run into rain)...but do I wake up, look out the window and say "Oh goodie...it's pouring...let's go riding"...no.

I live in Georgia, where 80% of the driving public seems to lose half their ability to operate a motor vehicle when it rains...so I usually avoid it if I can.
+1 however I live in Winnipeg where 80 % of the driving public are clueless on a day to day basis and another 19% lose it in the rain. I am of course the remaining 1%. Mmmm does that make me a 1%er??

Rode home from Sturgis a couple of years ago, 500 miles of absolute misery getting drenched the whole way. Made me laugh though trying to hide behing a SG windshield with fogged goggles and horizontal rain. Gawd..

Last edited by julesdain; 05-03-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:21 PM
jackloganbill
Cruiser

Riding in the rain is no fun for me. Right after buying the EGC we got caught in the rain, new tires, new bike. Mis judged a light turning red (can't see very well in the rain) and had to apply the non-ABS EGC brakes with gusto. Surprised how well it stopped, no sliding, even on the slick roadway.

Also, absolutely hate riding in the rain on the interstates. The semis throw up a vaporized stream of water that not only soaks you but makes it dang difficult to see. The only answer is to stop and wait it out.

Finally, I hate washing the EGC and of course you gotta do it after a getting caught out in the rain...

JackL

Old 05-03-2011, 12:37 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master

The bike is my daily ride. If I work it goes.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:14 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The street glide is out every day except in snow or ice. Rain is never a reason to not ride.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

In Northern Vermont, if you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride. It is either raining in the morning when I leave for work or its beautiful in the morning and pouring in the afternoon. Not many days in our short riding season with no rain at all.

Quick Reply: So who actually rides in the rain?