Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So who actually rides in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Trek
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We ride. But, we have great gear (including heated gear.) Recently, we returned home via a 560 mile ride from the coast. We only hit one rain storm...that lasted 200 miles...experienced two hail storms and snow was beginning to stick on the freeway when we pulled into town.

It really was a great trip!

But, if it starts raining in Texas...we get a room (Man it can really pour in that country!)

Old 05-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Took a week long trip on Blue Ridge Parkway last week and rode on the slab and BRP in light and heavy rain. Had gear and it was fine.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:41 PM
vheflin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
Gotta say, I am really surprised at all the threads about being too wet to ride, not getting in my miles, etc. I was under the impression one benefit of riding a bike with a fairing, storage space, and windshield was that you were no longer a slave to the weather. Not hating on anyone, do what you like and all but is there anyone who enjoys riding riding regardless of the weather. Just wondering if I am the only filthy FLH in town.

Be safe.
If I could see it wouldn't be too bad. Not to mention the bike and me get pretty filthy after a ride in the rain. Hurts like hell without the correct gear. Windshield on the bike makes a hell of a difference but still hard to see.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:48 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Every trip I've been in has resulted in riding in the rain. I won't leave on a day ride if it's raining, if there is a chance but isn't raining when I'm ready to leave I still go. When I'm riding to work, if it isn't riding when I'm headed into work I ride, but I won't ride in the rain to work.
Do I like riding in the rain? Not at all, but I do it when I have to.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:53 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i'll ride in the rain, at least to get to the house or the next town where i can get inside. and that's only if i am out riding and it starts raining. each time i go riding, i watch the sky to see what is going on in the direction i plan on riding. if it's a long trip i check the weather channel. being wet, cold, and tired, are highly overrated, especially when you get older.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Vins
Club Member

If I waited for sunshine, I might not get to ride! Besides, that's what rain gear is for!

Old 05-03-2011, 01:22 AM
2nd Mike
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've ridden in the rain A LOT! Never by choice.
The most memorable was a driving rain for 250 miles.
Then the wind "picked up" and a couple of semi's blew over!
We got a room at the next town!

I don't commute on my Harley.I live a little under a mile from work so it wouldn't even have time to warm up during the 3-5 minute ride.

I can assure you if I wake up on my day off and it's raining,I won't be saying
"look.honey.It's pouring down rain!Let's go for a ride!"

Old 05-03-2011, 02:36 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop

I keep seeing this business about traction ... although traction may go down somewhat (oil rises to the surface of the street as it begins to rain, until it gets washed away) I have never had a problem with traction while riding in the rain

R/
'Chop
Riding in WI, I never noticed much oil on the road, the most slippery areas are paint. But I got caught in Chicago, in a bad neighborhood, where the old cars leak all over. It was slicker than a witches tit. And it had been a torrential rain for hours so that chit did not "wash off" I had to stop REAL careful. High pucker factor. Very little margin for error in rain. Got caught in rain that was so hard it flash flooded, and the scariest thing was that I knew cars couldn't see me, and that was a bad feeling. So I ride in the rain. Slow and steady.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:46 AM
joslinj
Advanced

I live in germany and if you do not ride in the rain then you do not ride. I ride rain or shine and use chaps if I start out in the rain. If I am riding and it starts raining I just keep on riding.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:41 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SlowRain
I will ride in the rain when I get caught in it...or if it is a road trip (where for some reason, I always seem to run into rain)...but do I wake up, look out the window and say "Oh goodie...it's pouring...let's go riding"...no.

I live in Georgia, where 80% of the driving public seems to lose half their ability to operate a motor vehicle when it rains...so I usually avoid it if I can.

Same here......
You're lucky it well into the 90-95% range that people loose their driving ability here in the lower half of the state.

Quick Reply: So who actually rides in the rain?