Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Noice

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:01 PM
jmcd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Noice

HI to all ,, I need a bit of help on this ,, I have a 2008 ultra just installed the SE 255 cams ,, every thing went great , bike ran great , or up to around 1000 miles now the valves are making all kinds of tapping , it did not before it just getting louder and louder as the miles roll on , I am going to open the motor up tomarow to see if i see any thing wrong,, i was hoping some one could help me on telling what could have happen,, i did not change the push rods ,, so they are stock,, i made a 100 mile run tonight and it was so loud even my GF asked whats wrong with the bike, i was thinking it had lost a bit of power but i am really not sure as i was trying to babby it home, all so i am thinking it is running hotter now, but i am not sure on that allso , i was down at thunder beach and was sitting for a few mins , i knew the bike was hot but i did not think it was that hot to shut it down, but it did, it started right back up, oil been running about 200 to 220 ,I did check the oil when i got it home and it was down a bit from full hot ,just after a 100 mile run,, and looked like a lot of air bubbles in the oil , dont know if it should have air bubbles in it or not ,, sooooo any help would help a great deal ,, oh and the oil pres seams to be ok ,

thanks
Jerome

Old 04-30-2011, 11:24 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm chasing exactly the same problem on my 07. Bike runs great but the valve train is noisy as hell. Did you use adjustable or the stock pushrods?

Old 04-30-2011, 11:39 PM
jmcd
Intermediate

i reused the stock push rods,, the bike has around 32000 miles on it ,, I know what the norm is on the tapping , it had gotten so loud in the last 1000 miles its a hell of a lot louder than before the cam change and louder after the 1000 miles after the new cams was installed they really sound like they are coming out of the head at any time, a few days after the cams was put in i made a trip ( around) 400 miles and it was so smouth and all most no or i sould say nom on the tapping then oh well might be time for a new bike lol

Old 04-30-2011, 11:49 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Exactly the same, stock pushrods, about 33k miles on mine. Loud as hell the the SE255 cams. I'm thinking the solve might be adjustable pushrods. My next try is Woods directional lifters.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:32 AM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Check the Valves and Guides. Could be too tight with the extra lift.

Old 05-01-2011, 05:11 AM
bikehe
Tourer

You mention air bubbles in the oil. Could be that the oil pump or o-ring didnt go back in properly and its scavenging, maybe losing oil pressure to the lifters. Something for thought

Old 05-01-2011, 06:02 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

how is your oil pressure? remember your hydraulic lifters operate because of oil.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:14 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,168 Likes on 3,676 Posts

Oil pressure is first to look at... Maybe the O-rings didn't seat right inside??? This is why i used Adjustable pushrods so i could go back in easily...i had to so i was SOOOO happy i used the QUick Install SE rods...Plus with the adjustability i quieted the top end down....

Old 05-01-2011, 08:20 AM
jmcd
Intermediate

thanks guys for the replys ,, I was thinking oil pump my self,, so this is where i will be going to frist , i dont think air bubbles should be in the oil ,, and i do mean a lot of air bubbles,

Now that i have had a good night rest i will be taking it down today to see what i can find, it was so loud last night , that every time i was at a stop light and some one had pulled next to me on a bike , just looked at the motor and said dude whats wrong with your bike lol

Old 05-01-2011, 08:27 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

My oil pressure is good.

Quick Reply: Valve Noice