Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I do not like about my SG, buffeting! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 01:36 PM
lp77
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What I do not like about my SG, buffeting! Help! Riding without windscreen?

Hi Guys,

I do love my 2007 SG, but I really get tired of the buffeting and the punches on my helmet which make mee feel like I am in a beatbox. It is a pitty that I need to wear earplugs for not getting crazy. I wonder why Harley put a stereo in the SG models if you can't hear anything if driving 50+ miles per hour. When standing on my footboards and feeling the constant pressure and noise of the wind I think this is even better than the turbulence with the batwing.

I am 6'5" long and replaced my stock seat for a Danny Gray Butt crack which I do like a lot. It sets me back and lowers me a lot. Unfortunately this was not the solution to get rid of the wind buffeting (which is coming from above. I don't mind the wind/buffeting on my body this is part of the job).

I still have the standard windscreen, I know this is not perfect. I see a lot of alternative windscreens and wind deflectors but I have my doubts if this will be the solution for me. Is there anyone who has the same length and has a solution which does not affect the looks? Please let me know I am really interested, it would bring me more fun riding my lovely bike.

Last edited by lp77; 04-30-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: none
Old 04-30-2011, 01:46 PM
BaggerShield
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a BaggerShield! At your height I would suggest the 7.5" to 11.5" option. For most of your driving needs the 7.5" tinted low height will work just fine. When you are highway driving (touring) or during inclement your can adjust it to the 11.5" height. Check out our website www.baggershield.com and click on the demo video.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:04 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Another solution is Klock Werks. Their design claims significantly reduced buffeting. Not trying to knock a fine sponsor but offering another suggestion.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:15 PM
el lobo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need a taller windshield. I am 511 ordered a 6 inch clearview and still had issues. I have a 9 inch clarks and I am very happy.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

9.5" or taller shield with re curve will make significant difference.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:23 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 511 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by lp77
Hi Guys,

I do love my 2007 SG, but I really get tired of the buffeting and the punches on my helmet which make mee feel like I am in a beatbox. It is a pitty that I need to wear earplugs for not getting crazy. I wonder why Harley put a stereo in the SG models if you can't hear anything if driving 50+ miles per hour.
I hear my factory stereo just fine. In fact, I believe the ride behind the batwing is much more comfortable than the Dyna (with windshield) I had before.

Originally Posted by lp77
I still have the standard windscreen, I know this is not perfect. I see a lot of alternative windscreens and wind deflectors but I have my doubts if this will be the solution for me. Is there anyone who has the same length and has a solution which does not affect the looks? Please let me know I am really interested, it would bring me more fun riding my lovely bike.
There is your problem!
The factory windscreen looks great, but that is about it.

I went with a Clearview (9.5" with recurve) and that made all the difference in the world.
http://clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=11

There are countless aftermarket solutions for nice looking and functional shields.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

I went with the 8 inch Fastaire recurve windshield. Problem solved.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:33 PM
pretz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

spend the dollars and purchase a new windshield and J&M Speakers. You wont regret it

Old 04-30-2011, 02:39 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just install a stock height windshield and you will be surprised at the difference. also think about the fairing mounted wind deflectors or the fork mounted ones. The fork mounted ones do work .

Old 04-30-2011, 02:43 PM
lp77
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone tried to ride without the windshield? Maybe it will give the effect of none?? I will give this a try this week.

Searched for buffeting and sg on the forum. Man I read a lot of problems. Even guys who tried over 10 shields.

I am afraid this problem can't be solved with keeping the looks of the SG.

Rollamo I think my 2002 Sportster was more comfortable, no buffeting and constant wind pressure.

Last edited by lp77; 04-30-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: What I do not like about my SG, buffeting! Help!