Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I do not like about my SG, buffeting! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:01 PM
RalphDBS
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not like the look of the baggershield but like the concept

Old 05-01-2011, 12:33 AM
blueduramax
Cruiser

Was wondering if I could stand the buffeting from my new Street Glide, then I installed the fork wind deflectors. Problem solved. The buffeting is not coming from above but from below.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:57 AM
lp77
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yhank you for the reply,

What I consider:
- taller windshield (now need to decide which one....)
- batwing wind deflectors

I'm sure I wont take the fork deflectors in my opinion they make my bike look like a fairground bike. Otherwise I would have bought an ultra.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i'm 6'4" tall and i'm using the 10" long ride shield with the flip at the top. the windstream is directed about an inch above the top of my helmet. if you're using the stock streetglide windshield, replace it with a real windshield. stock sg windshields look great on the showroom floor, but in real life, they suck. i'm also using the fork air baffle, easy to install and the adjustable side wings on my fairing. i have no wind issues at all. it's all with how you set up your bike. if all you want to do is stylin' and profilin' on the boulevard, then the stock shield should be okay. if you want to really get out and ride, swap the shield. you'll notice a huge difference. i am really happy with the long ride shield with the flip at the top.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:23 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

SG's are notorious for "dirty air" from above (short shield) & below the fairing. Best advice I can offer is to start w/taller shield (8.5" or more), add the fork baffle and fairing wings. These three will definitely clean things up, but I also have fairing lowers (vented) which deflect alot from below. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:11 AM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by old-skewl
I prefer not having a windshield....Try it!
Good advice, but last time I checked that's not an option with a SG....

Old 05-01-2011, 08:14 AM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
SG's are notorious for "dirty air" from above (short shield) & below the fairing. Best advice I can offer is to start w/taller shield (8.5" or more), add the fork baffle and fairing wings. These three will definitely clean things up, but I also have fairing lowers (vented) which deflect alot from below. Good luck.
In the brief time I owned a SG I did those 3 things and still had a decent amount of "dirty" turbulent air coming at me (probably from below). I didn't try the lowers or the fork mounted air deflectors which may or may not have sold the problem. I guess I will never know.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:21 AM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with the tallest shield Harley makes. I 'm not as tall as you (5'9") and have a C&C seat which lowers and pushes back as well. At 70 MPH I have a nice quiet pocket of air around my head.

The cool factor...not so much. I'm going to try a few shields over the summer and see if any work as well but look better. Most of the manufactureers allow returns so I'm gonna experiment a bit

I also like the fact that the HD shield is made of lexan. Don't believe the hype...nothing beats lexan for protection. It stops bullets!!!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:04 AM
mattlal
Advanced
Default LRS Xstream

On my 2011 FLHX, I recently replaced my 8" LRS Xstream with a 10" for touring...it rids of that "classic" look, without being too obnoxious.

I am 5'10, and with the Sundowner, 10" Xstream, and 85mph...I can ride without glasses...sometimes you simply forget the clears at home.

Although, if you're running solo-seat the 8" is great too - but you might get spoiled by the 10" very quickly.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:53 AM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a Road King after test rides on the Street and Road Glides buffeted me to pieces. Even then, it took some trial and error to get it just right on the Road King - and just about every other bike I've ever owned.

I don't know how practical this would be, but instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water, for those Street and Road Glides owners with buffeting problems ...

Can't you just remove the fairing and convert the bike to a shied-only/Road King set up?

Or is this so much of a hassle to not make it worth it?

Quick Reply: What I do not like about my SG, buffeting! Help!