Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I do not like about my SG, buffeting! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 03:51 PM
testifer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have no options but a taller windshield, the lowers dont work, nothing works...add the fork baffle to keep the air from coming up, and a taller windshield. i am afraid your screwed with the look

Old 04-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Pa-Rider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

..and just to throw it in there, I have a HD Windsplitter, and I have zero issues with buffeting. The air flow over my helmet is almost always nice and smooth, unless it's really windy out.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:37 PM
heavyhitter01
Cruiser

I am not as tall as you but the KW 6.5 helped but the Hawg Wings all but eliminated the buffet for me. They are pretty cheap too.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Ultra Classic Guy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lp77
Anyone tried to ride without the windshield? Maybe it will give the effect of none?? I will give this a try this week.

Searched for buffeting and sg on the forum. Man I read a lot of problems. Even guys who tried over 10 shields.

I am afraid this problem can't be solved with keeping the looks of the SG.

Rollamo I think my 2002 Sportster was more comfortable, no buffeting and constant wind pressure.
I also wanted to keep the low windshield look, but have the option of switching anytime anywhere. I went with the baggershield, it takes me about 15 seconds to adjust it to a 12" touring height. It's hard to see in the second picture but there is a 4" increased height their website shows it better then my pictures.

Attached Thumbnails What I do not like about my SG, buffeting! Help!-lowposition.jpg   What I do not like about my SG, buffeting! Help!-tallposition.jpg  
Old 04-30-2011, 08:06 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

You need the HD stock WS that comes on the Electra Glides. I had a 07 FLHT STD & had no problems But you being tall you might need the HD Tall WS. I'm sure there are other WS out there that might work BUT I only know about the stock HDs. IMO, it's either function or looks when it come to WS. There are also wind deflectors that mount on sides of Batwings.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:37 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6'1'" with 32 inseam. Tall torso. I have tried several sizes and now run the ClearView 10.5 with Re-curve. It fixed it for me. You may need to go with 11 or 12

Old 04-30-2011, 09:11 PM
jmoore9
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 6'6 and just bought a clearview 10.5 recurve. It will fix your problem. I'm not sure about the look yet but the buffeting is fixed!

Old 04-30-2011, 09:51 PM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ultra-flip windshield from longride shields.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:09 PM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lp77
Anyone tried to ride without the windshield? Maybe it will give the effect of none?? I will give this a try this week.

Searched for buffeting and sg on the forum. Man I read a lot of problems. Even guys who tried over 10 shields.

I am afraid this problem can't be solved with keeping the looks of the SG.

Rollamo I think my 2002 Sportster was more comfortable, no buffeting and constant wind pressure.
I have read countless posts/threads on this problem and there seems to a combination of parts and accessories that you have to fit in order to solve this problem. I owned a streetglide for a few months but traded it because I couldn't get rid of the buffeting problem. I too prefer the constant air flow of NO screen to the turbulence of helmet buffeting....

In order to resolve your problem you will need:-
1. taller screen with some sort of recurve
2. lower fairing air deflectors
3. triple tree fork baffle
4. fork mounted chrome air deflectors

Even with all these things, "smooth" air flow is not 100% guarranteed and it significantly chsanges the looks of your bike. If you live and ride in a hot climate you will be even hotter with all these add-ons.

Good luck with your bike. They are a fine looking machine.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:44 PM
old-skewl
Advanced

I prefer not having a windshield....Try it!

Quick Reply: What I do not like about my SG, buffeting! Help!