Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easter ride choke down REVISITED

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 08:09 PM
k-hook
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easter ride choke down REVISITED

After thinking that the problem was bad unleaded regular fuel from an "emergency" fill up at an old gas station on Easter Sunday, my 05 EGC began to choke down again today at the end of a 96 mile ride. I could not accelerate past 60mph. The premium fuel that's in the tank is a top off from what I thought was bad gas. I assumed I had burned off the bad gas. It was only 3 gallons to get me to another gas station. After about 10 miles, the bike began to run better.

Could it be the last remnants of the bad fuel?

Is the bike overheating, and this is a limp mode?

Thoughts please...

Old 04-29-2011, 09:05 PM
oldguy1946
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k-hook
After thinking that the problem was bad unleaded regular fuel from an "emergency" fill up at an old gas station on Easter Sunday, my 05 EGC began to choke down again today at the end of a 96 mile ride. I could not accelerate past 60mph. The premium fuel that's in the tank is a top off from what I thought was bad gas. I assumed I had burned off the bad gas. It was only 3 gallons to get me to another gas station. After about 10 miles, the bike began to run better.

Could it be the last remnants of the bad fuel?

Is the bike overheating, and this is a limp mode?

Thoughts please...
06s don't have a limp mode. If the gas you got was that bad then you may have a clogged fuel filter. From what you descibed it could be a number of things causing the problem including the ecm, throttle cables, throttle body if is fuel injected or the carb, a hole in the fuel line in the tank, etc.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:29 PM
k-hook
Advanced

Bike is fuel injected. I'm not smelling fuel when it chokes down, so I don't think there's a leak. It's funny that it happens after I put significant miles into a ride. If it was a clogged fuel filter, it would run rough at idle too, right? That's not happening. Clutching and throttling through it helps during the ride.

Hate having to chase this down...weather in central Louisiana is just terrific this time of year!

Old 04-30-2011, 01:56 AM
RoadTramp113
Advanced
Default Choking down

See if it's throwing any codes. Possible the IAT sensor can get clogged. Take it off and clean out the port. Or remove the a/c, spray some throttle body cleaner inside and use an old toothbrush to clean out the inside of the FI body; just the first inch or so...make sure the IAT port is clean. Change your plugs and give it another test run.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:04 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

try a little bit of seafoam.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Tom T-Bird
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by k-hook
Bike is fuel injected. I'm not smelling fuel when it chokes down, so I don't think there's a leak. It's funny that it happens after I put significant miles into a ride. If it was a clogged fuel filter, it would run rough at idle too, right? That's not happening. Clutching and throttling through it helps during the ride.

Hate having to chase this down...weather in central Louisiana is just terrific this time of year!
A partially clogged fuel filter would allow the bike to idle properly but would cause the engine to not achieve full power. However if it is running right at speed and then starts losing power it is proably not the filter.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:19 PM
k-hook
Advanced

To check the codes...is that best done by the dealer? And it'll be a week or so before I can get in. Will a "history" be kept in the bike?