Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tie Down

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 247 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Tie Down

I'm planning on taking the Lake Express Ferry across Lake Michigan in about a month. I've trailered bikes before and feel confident on how to tie down, but have always had a chock to work with. On the ferry, there are no chocks, just tie down points. I have a RKC, and I was planning to tie down on the front where the crash bar meets the frame, but am worried about the front wheel being free. I know Kuryakyn makes the tie down adaptor for mounting on the front forks, which looks like it might work quite well, but I want to avoid purchasing if I can. Advise/input on tying down without a chock would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TedMan

Old 04-28-2011, 03:16 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Interesting. I've taken the bike on the Cape May Ferry and not had an issue with the bike just being on the sidestand. I just backed it up to the bulkhead and turned the bars. They keep small blocks of 4x4s there to wedge against the tires.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:35 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TedMan
I'm planning on taking the Lake Express Ferry across Lake Michigan in about a month. I've trailered bikes before and feel confident on how to tie down, but have always had a chock to work with. On the ferry, there are no chocks, just tie down points. I have a RKC, and I was planning to tie down on the front where the crash bar meets the frame, but am worried about the front wheel being free. I know Kuryakyn makes the tie down adaptor for mounting on the front forks, which looks like it might work quite well, but I want to avoid purchasing if I can. Advise/input on tying down without a chock would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TedMan
My buddies were to take this same ferry last year on our annual ride (I wasn't able to make it), but wasn't able to go across due to high winds. Tie your bike down like you're expecting a hurricane, and use the bike frame down low, not the handlebars, etc. I would use a minimum of 4 with 2 on each side front and back. Keep it in gear as well.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:36 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Just lightly tie it down..... don't compress the suspension much. Put the bike in gear. If it's a real calm day, you don't need to do anything except put it in gear. But tie downs are just insurance in case of a freighter wake. Tie at the top of the engine guards at the frame... bike in gear... lock the forks.

Better yet...... ride the bike AROUND the lake

Old 04-28-2011, 03:43 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by shooter5074
Just lightly tie it down..... don't compress the suspension much. Put the bike in gear. If it's a real calm day, you don't need to do anything except put it in gear. But tie downs are just insurance in case of a freighter wake. Tie at the top of the engine guards at the frame... bike in gear... lock the forks.

Better yet...... ride the bike AROUND the lake
Thanks for advice. Locking the fork is a good idea, and probably will be sufficient.

Been through Chicago traffic a couple of times on my way out to Sturgis and don't want to do that this time. I like the thought of leisurely trip across the lake, and from there we will go around the rest of the lake, through the UP and back down. I can't wait to put the new RKC103 through its paces. Ride safe.

TedMan

Old 04-28-2011, 04:23 PM
scottdoege
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Ride

Tedman,

I took the ferry last year and it was a great experience. They provide the ratchet tie downs. I brought my own nylon loop type fasteners to tie to the bike and then used hooked into their tie downs. I believe I just put down the kick stand and stabilized the bike using the front and rear "crash bars". The ferry ride is very smooth.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:30 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by scottdoege
Tedman,

I took the ferry last year and it was a great experience. They provide the ratchet tie downs. I brought my own nylon loop type fasteners to tie to the bike and then used hooked into their tie downs. I believe I just put down the kick stand and stabilized the bike using the front and rear "crash bars". The ferry ride is very smooth.
Thanks for first hand account. I'm bringing my own ties, as well. Really looking forward to this trip. Going with a bud that did Blue Ridge Parkway/Dragon and Lake Superior circle tour with me. On this trip, we will be planning our Sturgis 2012 escapade

TedMan

Old 04-29-2011, 11:51 AM
mkekid
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Me and my wife are planning on taking the ferry over to Michigan for the day and then spending the night at a bed & breakfast, then heading back to Milwaukee the next day.
Got the round trip ticket for a Christmas gift. Good info on the tie down situation, thanks guys.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:04 PM
MareRider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know about all ferries, but some require reservations & do sell out for a particular time or day. Be sure to check ahead.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:35 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by MareRider
Don't know about all ferries, but some require reservations & do sell out for a particular time or day. Be sure to check ahead.
Thanks, Mare, already got my tickets. Your avatar is killing me

TedMan