Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help with what kind of exhaust to buy

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Rush slipons did it for me, but only after a trip to Bike Week where I got to hear different setups. Sound is subjective; many of the popular pipes that folks said were "quiet at highway speeds" I found to be too loud. What's loud to you may be quiet to me, and vice versa. The Rush slipons with 1.5" baffles are quiet enough at low RPM & highway speeds to easily hear the stereo, but have quite a bark when you get on it. Been running them for 4 years and wouldn't have anything else.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:33 AM
WrenchCPO
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SG RIDER
looking at maybe buying vance and hines big radius pipes they sound wicked but not sure if ill be able to hear radio when going 70 mpg anyone have these on there bagger imput please
I have been running these on my '08 and have no issues hearing the radio on the highway.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:12 AM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SG RIDER
just bought an 2011 96" street glide stock exhaust want to upgrade to a more agressive exhaust on that cracks loud when i hit the gas but mellows out a bit when im cruisng just enough so i can hear my radio even if i have to crank the radio a bit .Not sure about slip ons or true dualls if i can find a good slip on that would be ok with that and what will i all need for the true dual to set that up right and rough cost with instalation any help would be great. sound bits would help to if possible
thanks
went thru this myself, and found out that the cat DOES make a difference on how your slip-ons will sound, my buddy has a 07 RKC and has the rush slip-on's 1.75 which i though sounded great!! so i picked up a set from a forum member here for a good price and put them on.

took the bike out and it was nothing like my buddies bike, my 10 ultra still has the cat, and was not aware of how much it did make a difference. if i had got them new and at full price i would be bumming.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:02 AM
C Clamp
Cruiser

You said "crack". My wife's Glide came with D&D 2;1. They crack as you say. I can just touch the throttle and have had people jump. I asked her how they were at cruising speed with the radio and she said fine, they mellow out. Expensive I know, if it had not been done like this at the dealership I probably would not have opted for the expense, but went with something different. I like the pipes on her bike. I have Reinhart slip ons on my bike I like them. She came off a Heritage with V&H longshots so that was pretty loud at speed for her comparison.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-29-2011, 09:08 AM
Hybryd40
4th Gear

+ one for Rush slip ons

Old 04-29-2011, 09:11 AM
motodrum
Novice

Vance & Hines monster ovals with true duals. This system makes it's statement via a deep meaty sound afforded by the larger size of the oval muffler not because of high volume levels. You can easily hear radio at all speeds.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:15 AM
bagdaddy09
Cruiser

Vance and Hines pro pipe. Absolutely love it.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:38 PM
MadIrish
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My buddy and I just installed V&H Power Duals and Kuryakyn Crusher mufflers (along with a Kuryakyn Hi Five Mach 2 air cleaner) and reflashed the ECU with a TTS MasterTune unit a stock Kurakyn map on both our bikes. Fun install and sounds great. I did not want to have a system that was a lot louder than stock, but I wanted a better tone and I wanted it to bark when I hit the throttle. I did not chose true duals because a) the power duals should make the bike a bit quieter than true duals 2) in theory a little more torque and HP should be seen with the power duals' crossover configuration.

The system did not disappoint either of us. Bassier tone at idle and cruise, a little bit louder than stock at idle, and it certainly barks when I hit the throttle. I was grinning all the way home.

One thing, I was simply amazed at how hard we had to tighten down the torca clamps for the mufflers. Without a torque wrench to guide me, I think i would have stopped a lot sooner...and wound up leaks. If you make a change, do not reuse the Torca clamps...get new ones...and make sure you tighten down everything to spec.

Dunno how you are supposed to get a torque wrench in to the bottom bolt on the front cylinder head, though....there is no room up against the frame. I dunno how a real shop does it. I simply tried to compare the feel against the top bolt (which was properly torqued) and applied German torque (it was "gutentight" as my buddy says).

Old 04-30-2011, 07:46 AM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the CFR's.Great pipes,have had mine with their duals for almost 2 yrs now.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...ystems-20.html

Last edited by rick; 04-30-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:37 AM
dad311
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwinbob
went thru this myself, and found out that the cat DOES make a difference on how your slip-ons will sound, my buddy has a 07 RKC and has the rush slip-on's 1.75 which i though sounded great!! so i picked up a set from a forum member here for a good price and put them on.

took the bike out and it was nothing like my buddies bike, my 10 ultra still has the cat, and was not aware of how much it did make a difference. if i had got them new and at full price i would be bumming.
I had a stock Ultra with Phython slip-ons. The bike was a little louder than stock, but had no bark.

I replaced the down pipe (Jackpot 2/1/2), AC and added a power commander. The bike came alive, more torque, power and BARK. Same Phython slip-ons, the sound is a lot different.

Quick Reply: Need some help with what kind of exhaust to buy