Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield or Fairing... which gives the "smoothest" air flow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 01:40 AM
JS999R
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The responses here are very similar to the issues on the Ducati Multistrada website. Many factors influence wind buffeting and its a very hard issue to nail down. The post on high and low air pressure has validity because the same subject was addressed on a Suzuki VStrom website. Its the same when a passenger rolls his/her window down and this causes wind buffeting inside a vehicle. I believe its a quick exchange of high and low pressures. There is an aftermarket windshield bracket that many VStrom owners swear by, I forgot the brand name but it allows the windshield some flexibility, you can raise and lower it some. Apparently the set up allows air to flow under the windshield thus disrupting the high low air pressure combination. I'll have to go back and verify this, but its what I recall from a couple years ago. Even with the above bracket the other parts of the puzzle have to be addressed, at least if the set up works in principle, then you can midigate wind buffeting further by chosing the right helmet and ride height in the saddle. Kind of difficult to do something about the latter, but it has more to do with the relationship between you and the windshield height.

To answer the question would I consider installing baffles or other aids? Yes, I would consider doing anything at this point. As I said I prefer riding without a windshield but forgot to mention having a rider backrest has got to help. When you experience wind "pushback" for an extensive period your hands and arms become fatigued, as I'm sure your whole body. But with a backrest you have something to lean against instead of constantly fighting the wind.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:57 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

' 10 RK I like the stock shield for wind protection but the sun shining off the nacelle is to much glare so I installed a MS batwing with a 6" shield and found way too much wind buffeting in my ears so I bought a 6" recurve and it did the same thing. Riding with my hand over the windshield stopped the buffeting so I bought a 9" shield...Same problem. I just purchased an 12" shield and it did the trick. Still have plenty of air but the buffeting in my ears is gone. Trial and expensive error. BTW: 6 ft tall , 30 in inseam and no helmet.
Good Luck

Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 AM
tdgibson2009
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

It's obviously a personal choice thing but I've had a fat boy with the detachable windshield. I know have a 09 Ultra and the OEM windshield sucked. I put on the 4" Winvest and the airflow is awesome. No noise and no buffeting. This is the best I've ever had. It ought to come as the OEM windshield on the SG, UC, or EG.

Try one and you will know what I mean.