Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield or Fairing... which gives the "smoothest" air flow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:30 PM
Aleslinger
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to ride a RoadGlide to get a feel for how it cuts the wind. Most RG owners replace the windshield early on. I wear a fullface helmet and the stock shield is ok for now. Sometimes if the wind is howling just right I will feel some turbulance, but if I get closer to the shield it is fine. I have read a lot of good things about recurve shields, but I can't offer any opinions. You might be able to get a slighly used shield from one of the riders on this forum. Good luck with your search.

http://www.clearviewshields.com/

Old 04-28-2011, 06:59 PM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
I've tried pretty much everything on the market to stop the buffeting. I had to make my own windscreens mounted to the top of the crash bar. The air comes from just above and below the bar, nothing you can add to the fairing will stop it, fork deflectors don't work either. All that stuff helps but will not stop it. Here are some picture of what I made. Not the best looking things on the bike, but hardly noticeable and they stop the buffeting.
Thanks for the feedback.... that is disappointing that you found nothing can completely stop the buffeting. I may have to rethink the whole thing.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:01 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Thanks again Beary for the honest feedback. Much appreciated...... Seems like quite a few folk have surprisingly found the windshield of the RK to cause less "turbulence" than their experience with a fairing. Goes against what you would think, doesn't it.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:03 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by sargek
I've only had 2 Harley's with windshields: a Wide Glide with a short, detachable, and an Ultra Classic with a shorter LRS shield. Personally, I feel the Ultra Classic gives me much better wind protection. I don't have the lowers, mainly because I don't like them, and my windshield comes to about my chin, but I get no buffeting, no wind in my eyes, nothing. No wind comes up from below and I like the feeling of wind protection the fairing provides. As others have said, it's personal preference.
sargek..... so far I'm getting 50/50 on the fairing VS windshield debate.... Seems like peoples experiences vary greatly (doesn't help my decision making!!)....

Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just as an FYI, I have the triple tree baffle and the fork mounted deflectors on the King and I still get a nice thumping off the helmet at around 65 and higher....to be honest I may take off the fork deflectors because I don't remember that buffeting without them!

My next attempt is going to be a 21" LRS shield to see if that works as advertised

Old 04-28-2011, 07:15 PM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by Port Dawg
Just as an FYI, I have the triple tree baffle and the fork mounted deflectors on the King and I still get a nice thumping off the helmet at around 65 and higher....to be honest I may take off the fork deflectors because I don't remember that buffeting without them!

My next attempt is going to be a 21" LRS shield to see if that works as advertised
Wow.... I can't believe how much people's experience varies.... some say it completely eliminates the buffeting, and others like you say it doesn't help???

Old 04-28-2011, 07:24 PM
macgrg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2009 RK with the stock windshield. I added a Laminar lip and it is great, very little wind, no buffeting and my wife stopped complaining about buffeting in the back.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:36 PM
DanDil
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

FYI, I have been riding with a 1/2 helmet with snap on sun visor. Last summer I bought a new 3/4 helmet. I was able to switch to cotton in my ears rather than ear plugs and because I did not put the snap on sun visor on the new helmet, I discovered the sun visor was adding to wind turbulance. Loose the sun visor. I also have a windvest recurve that is just below eye level. I think I now have tweeked everything and it's the best it could be unless I drive my truck with the windows rolled up.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:33 PM
JC650
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Living where I do I want as much wind protection as possible to extend my riding season, so for me the fairing wins going away. The fairing works well for protecting the hands as well. I just like the feeling of having the fairing in front of me as I feel far less tired after a day of riding. My 06 EGC has vented lower fairings added and no other mods for wind deflection. Im 6'03 use the stock shield,seat and bars and I dont think I get very much wind at all. Some air comes over the top of the lowers and I can feel it right at my knees if its cold out. Im not sure what some people expect but its inevitable that you will get some unstable air.......your on a motorcycle. I can understand wanting to eliminate the helmet buffeting as much as possible but some air is gonna get ya no matter what. jmo.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:27 PM
legendzzz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you use the MS Fairing and then use a set of Aluminm Fork Wind Divertors, and also put on those cheaper Vinyl Crash Bar Covers I think you will be protected and may be about $500 out for ALL That??

Quick Reply: Windshield or Fairing... which gives the "smoothest" air flow?