Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rineharts with VH Monster Ovals as mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:56 AM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rineharts with VH Monster Ovals as mufflers

So I have the bike in the shop for accident repair. I have true dual Rineharts and the insurance will pay for new pipes ( the muffler part since it is what got scratched in the accident). The shop called me and asked me if I wanted the same pipes and I
said No, I want to switch to V&H monster ovals since the Rinehearts are too loud for me.

The thing I am surprised about is the tech , who is supposed to be a very good one,
said we do not have to do a new load to the computer or do a dyno run. He is just going to replace the Rinehart mufflers and add to the rest of the Rinehart pipes ( the other half of the pipe that connects to the engine)

Is that correct? Should not he download a new computer profile and do a dyno run??

Old 04-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Gdub
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rinehart true duals should have a different diameter where the rear slip ons attach to the front section. This is per Rinehart themselves. This is why you cannot buy a rinehart header and add their slip ons.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:40 AM
c50plus
Tourer

Gdub,
you said Rinehart true dual head pipes will not fit V&H MOnster oval slip ons. Just called V&H and their technical department said it will. I appriciate your response, but what was your comment based on? Thanks

Old 04-27-2011, 12:05 PM
banks727
Advanced

C50plus,

As an aside to your post. I have MO's on my 09 FLHX and I think I'm getting rid of them. I've scraped these pipes twice now and just recently saw pictures of my bike on the Dragon. My pipes really have poor clearance in leans and small dips in the road, such as driveway curbs etc. They seem to stick out the back of the bags more than most pipes and because of the width give you less clearance.

I love the sound and looks of these pipes but I'm very frustrated with this. Another board member said he returned his and got Monster rounds instead because of this.

I only say this as a heads up to you. Might be worth asking them about.

Bans

Old 04-27-2011, 03:23 PM
Gdub
Cruiser

Originally Posted by c50plus
Gdub,
you said Rinehart true dual head pipes will not fit V&H MOnster oval slip ons. Just called V&H and their technical department said it will. I appriciate your response, but what was your comment based on? Thanks
I spoke with Gerrald Rinehart at AZ bike week. I currently have the Rinehart SLIPONS. I asked if I could buy just the head pipes down the road and use with my slipons, I was told "not while I am alive" According to Gerrald the header pipes are stepped and the outlet, where the slip on bolts onto is a different diameter than the stock pipe diameter. Which makes me think if you V and H are slip ons, they will not bolt up. I cannot recall what the difference is, but I do recall he told me. I hope that makes sense. But if Vance and Hines says they will work, you should be good.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:34 PM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Stock header (most aftermarket as well) OD is 1 3/4". Rinehart true dual "system" OD at slip-on = 2". Rinehart does sell a Slip-on that is 1 3/4" for stock pipes but that does not apply the this situation.

Adam

Old 04-27-2011, 04:24 PM
c50plus
Tourer

Modes , you are saying My rinehears should be 2 inches but what is the OD in the
MOnster ovals? You left that info out.

Guys I really appreciate your responses ,BUT, a lot of the times you guys wriet to write something but do not answer the question. Anyways , I already talked to V&H and they said the fit is ok. You can plug the monster ovals in my Rhearts.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Gdub
Cruiser

It would appear that both Modes and Myself do not believe they will slip on due to the Rinehart headers being 2" and the V and H pipe have a 1 3/4 diameter. I am new to the bagger thing. Like you stated above V and H said they are good to go.

Maybe go about it a different way and call Rinehart, see what the diameter of their true dual headers are.

Last edited by Gdub; 04-27-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:54 PM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

In general I listen to what Manufacturers say. If they say they fit, then I hope they do for you. If not, then please post so that others will not have the same issue. I have no experience with the Vance and hines that you mention so I cannot make a comment on them. It was literally two days ago that I was watching a friend try to replace a cracked Rinehart true dual header set with rush headers. Needless to say the Rinehart slip-ons were to big in diameter for the rush headers.

Adam

Old 04-28-2011, 03:19 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Had M/O's on my 09 RKC and took them off

for the same reason as banks727. I've scraped them a few times pulling out onto roads and backing up to park against the sidewalk. They sound and look great but need extra care due to the lower clearance.

Quick Reply: Rineharts with VH Monster Ovals as mufflers