Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No radios in 2012 touring models?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:43 AM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fat bob bob
...i want my hd to be made in the USA and i want all the parts made in the USA also....
I got some bad news about your brakes.....

Aren't the HK radios in the Ultras almost $1000? I don't understand the $500 raincheck?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 AM
01RoadHog
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
I work for a semiconductor manufacturer. The earthquake has severely affected our production schedule. Lead times for some products has been pushed out 3 or more months. Our competition is in the same situation. Everything from consumer electronics to industrial products are affected by parts shortages. What's unfortunate for Harley is the Harmon Kardon stereos impacts touring models, the company's top seller.
Agree, the earthquake has affected a lot of companies that need electronics or electronic components. From what I've read, this has really slowed HD's financial recovery. This shortage has hit HD during the largest selling time for the year.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/2011/04/1...n-shares-fall/

"Harley-Davidson declined to name the manufacturer of the Japanese-made part that could hold up shipments. But it said Tuesday it was looking at other options for obtaining the microchip that helps run displays on the Harman-Kardon audio radios featured on its touring motorcycles. Harley-Davidson did not disclose the cost of the chip."

Old 04-27-2011, 09:50 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by fat bob bob
they cant compeat,the labor in the other countrys is toooo cheep
Labor is only part of it. China (and other emerging countries) get away with stuff that the EPA and OSHA will not allow here.

Yes I'd by a 2012 without a radio. Discount the bike accordingly (a radio delete option).
For the same price I bet I could install a better sound system.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 AM
01RoadHog
Advanced

Originally Posted by 01RoadHog
Agree, the earthquake has affected a lot of companies that need electronics or electronic components. From what I've read, this has really slowed HD's financial recovery. This shortage has hit HD during the largest selling time for the year.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/2011/04/1...n-shares-fall/

"Harley-Davidson declined to name the manufacturer of the Japanese-made part that could hold up shipments. But it said Tuesday it was looking at other options for obtaining the microchip that helps run displays on the Harman-Kardon audio radios featured on its touring motorcycles. Harley-Davidson did not disclose the cost of the chip."
" These are sub-tier suppliers. In other words, we buy our radios from a U.S. supplier. But they then source chips and other components from sub-tier suppliers who in turn might source something from yet another sub-tier supplier," Chief Executive Keith Wandell told Reuters in an interview."

Old 04-27-2011, 09:55 AM
01RoadHog
Advanced

Originally Posted by piasspj
Labor is only part of it. China (and other emerging countries) get away with stuff that the EPA and OSHA will not allow here.

Yes I'd by a 2012 without a radio. Discount the bike accordingly (a radio delete option).
For the same price I bet I could install a better sound system.
I have a buddy that just installed Hog Tunes speakers and he loves them.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:00 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a good reason why everybody needs to vote out the politicians who would create the Alphabet Soup Agencies that regulate American business to the extent that leaving the country to produce is more attractive than putting up with the BS.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I figured that we would be hearing "No forks for you!" before a radio problem. The forks are Showa, right out of Japan. I would have thought these would be the bigger problem.

Another example of the Just In Time manufacturing model that is coming back to bite them. Having virtually no supply of parts and relying on other companies to deliver them 1 to 2 days prior to manufacture is a recipe for disaster in a global market that hinges on natural disasters, internal strife, wars and piracy on the high seas.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:53 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The big picture is that Japan got decimated with the earthquakes and tsunami. It's real easy for me to sit in the Midwest of the US where all I have to b!tch about is snow and cold, but that was a legit natural disaster that affected millions of lives, and to a point now is affecting millions more with secondary and tertiary effects. If I was in the market and I had my heart set on a certain 2012, I would buy one. It's not HD's fault for the natural disaster. It's a Global Market now. If the new radio would be shipped to me for free with free installation, and a $500 gift card on top of it, Sold. Seems like the MOCO is trying to right the wrong until a better solution can be found.

Best case scenario, buy the 2012, put in a better deck (a lot of riders seem to do that anyways), sell your HK when it comes in, and enjoy living in America with a roof over your head in a home that wasn't destroyed in an earthquake or tsunami.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:17 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by honestbob
I am on the Harley consumer opinion panel and fill out a survey each month. In this months survey the big topic was would I buy an Ultra or Classic without a radio and wait till it becomes available to have it installed. Seems Moco won't be able to get radios from Japan because of the quake. Anyone heard of this?
That would be a 'situational' call for me.

If it meant that I didn't have a bike for that period of time, then I would take the $500, buy an aftermarket head unit, then take the HK head unit and sell it when it came in.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:31 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

I though everything was made in China.

Quick Reply: No radios in 2012 touring models?