Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hiding wires inside the bars

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 11:28 AM
stsltd
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hiding wires inside the bars

I would second ( or third...) the motion to consider a new set of thicker bars, already set up for internal wiring - I am partial to Wi;d 1 Chubbys but there are others - heavier bars look great on a Road King - Ultra also btw -

They are built to accomodate standard controls, grips, and mounts so the new chrome ones you have will fit fine...

Also - had not written yet but your bike looks terrific with the new paint and front end - nice job....

Old 10-24-2006, 01:16 PM
jmxp
Tourer

ORIGINAL: stsltd
They are built to accomodate standard controls, grips, and mounts so the new chrome ones you have will fit fine...
Damn guys, ya'll probably stand at the bottom of the building yelling "JUMP you P*SSY!" Don't you know I WILL JUMP with just a little encouragement? Ok, I'll go check them out. Didn't know the standard housings would fit.

Also - had not written yet but your bike looks terrific with the new paint and front end - nice job....
Thanks! Still got my fingers crossed that it's going to warm up around here so I can get it out.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:25 PM
jmxp
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Mick

JM , check this out.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_262490/tm.htm
Deburring the holes cannot be over stressed.
Pretty good how-to for this project and a link for more.
Mick
That's the thread I read and referenced in my original post, but all of my crack dealers are directing me toward Chubby Bars and I don't know if I'm going to be able to fend them off.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:44 PM
Bill918
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you have your bars drilled out, or put on the Wild 1 508's which we all know your going to do, run a fishtape in from the grip side of the hole and out the bottom hole. Tape the appropriate side of the harness to the fishtape with plenty of electrical tape. Slowly pull the fishtape back until the harness comes out the handlebar side. If you go with the Wild 1 508 bars for RK's they say the original length cables will work. My electrical harness worked, but was a tight fit. I went 2" over on the throttle and brake cable and 3" over on the clutch (I was unable to get 2" over). In retrospect the throttle side was a perfect fit and I can't imagine it with shorter cables. The clutch side probably could have gone with stock or 1" over. It's a pretty easy job. Make sure you make a diagram of the wiring harness plugs before you pull the pins out, it will save you head aches later.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:46 PM
jmxp
Tourer

508's or 550's? I'm very comfortable with the standard RK Custom bars.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:13 AM
jmxp
Tourer

Alright crack pushers...I just ordered 508's.

I have a question about the turn signals. My front turn signals mount under the levers. Will the wire come out of the front of the switch housings? Any issues with clearance or pinching those wires?

Old 10-25-2006, 12:03 PM
stsltd
Advanced

I would have thought that if you were happy with the existing bars reach and spread that you might have been happier with the 0518's and not the 0508 - I actually went with the 504's on my Road King (Wild 1 recommends them for Road Kings for tall riders - I am a little over 6'4"), could not stand the 508's, when I did it years ago - the 508's just came back way to far -

May want to talk to Wild 1 if you have not already - something to consider

Old 10-25-2006, 12:15 PM
jmxp
Tourer

I would have thought that if you were happy with the existing bars reach and spread that you might have been happier with the 0518's and not the 0508 - I actually went with the 504's on my Road King (Wild 1 recommends them for Road Kings for tall riders - I am a little over 6'4"), could not stand the 508's, when I did it years ago - the 508's just came back way to far -

May want to talk to Wild 1 if you have not already - something to consider
I called Wild1 and he told me the 508's were the closest bar to stock that he makes for the RK Custom. Measurements I took confirm that with a few inches of additional pullback which I'm way ok with. I'm only 6'0" and have frequently wished my bars came back a little further when I'm leaning against the backrest.

Wild1 suggested that I sit on the bike and put my palms in the gap between the levers and grips on the stock setup and that's where my grips would be with the 518's. Again, measurements I took confirmed that, and I felt that was too far forward and too spread out.

Worse case scenario is eBay for the 508's.

Appreciate the discussion, tips and advice...

J

Old 10-25-2006, 12:32 PM
stsltd
Advanced

Sounds great - would suspect that the Custom bars are different from the standard - at least what was standard in 1998....

I got very good at running the wires internal to the bars when I was making my changes as well as taking the electrical connectors apart - which are pretty slick I must say on Harleys part - came in handy when I swapped out the bars on the Ultra a few weeks ago

Anyway - just thought I would chime in - bike is looks terrific

Old 10-25-2006, 01:03 PM
jmxp
Tourer

Definitely appreciate the comments. I wasn't even thinking about bars before I posted this.
Like Sol said, "Fat is where it's at" for tourers.

I just realized that you, Sol and Bounty are almost as good at spending my money as my wife is

Quick Reply: Hiding wires inside the bars