Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your opinion on purchasing extended warranties from HD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:29 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bsr8wtrod
Need your opinions on purchasing an extended warranty from HD. I'm getting ready to by a 2011 Street glide 103 and wondered if the extended warranty is worth the money.
An extended warranty is a gamble and the odds are not in your favor, however, the more miles you put on it the better your odds.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:50 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
An extended warranty is a gamble and the odds are not in your favor, however, the more miles you put on it the better your odds.
I have already posted on this topic here and my suggestion - do a search, there are dealers that will give you 20% off..

anyway - just paid my homeowners insurance again... been a home owner now sice 1973 - NEVER had a claim but each year I dish out 100's of dollars on insurance - its a gamble also, and most likley will NEVER have a claim, but do I stop it, no.

ESP is the very same. I say, its worth it, IF I can get that 20% savings...

Its up to each person.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:52 PM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just traded for an 09 and bought the ESP, couldn't spend that kind of money on a bike with no warranty.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:56 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by harley0711
I have already posted on this topic here and my suggestion - do a search, there are dealers that will give you 20% off..

anyway - just paid my homeowners insurance again... been a home owner now sice 1973 - NEVER had a claim but each year I dish out 100's of dollars on insurance - its a gamble also, and most likley will NEVER have a claim, but do I stop it, no.

ESP is the very same. I say, its worth it, IF I can get that 20% savings...

Its up to each person.
What does homeowners insurance have to do with an extended motorcycle warranty? I don't know of anyone who has ended up homeless because their Harley had a problem that wasn't covered.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:03 AM
racecrzy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never needed it but it's hard to put a price on piece of mind.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:08 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
What does homeowners insurance have to do with an extended motorcycle warranty? I don't know of anyone who has ended up homeless because their Harley had a problem that wasn't covered.
Insurance is Insurance - I am a retired Fire fighter - I can't tell you how many times I was at a house fire and the occupants said, they decided not to keep their fire insurance up because of the cost..

If you have Extended coverage on your HD and the engine goes, your covered just like fire insurance - no difference, both are a gamble. Its just a comparision.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Locomotive13
Novice

My 2 cents... I have a 2008 FLHTC with 58,000 miles on it. I purchased the extended warranty and glad I did. If you are more than just a casual 3,000 miles/year guy, GET IT. If you ride hard GET IT.
If you don't have the ability to fix your own SH*T, GET IT. If you don't have cash on hand to pay for it to get fixed, GET IT!

I have used my ESP 4 times. First my starter went out, and my dealer replaced it and my clutch (bonus). I had a rental for 8 days, total cost: $1200.00, cost to me 50 bucks. Second time Radio went out, they replaced it and I had a rental 4 days. Cost about a $1000, my cost $50. 3rd time they replaced the head bearings, again I had a rental 2 days (I don't remember the actual cost) MY cost $50. And the most recent my cruise control, EFI and TCM went out. I didn't get a cost sheet yet and had a rental for 3 days but again my cost $50.

My wife has a 2010 FLHX with 28,000 miles. We did not purchase the ESP because of the 2 year factory warranty. We DO plan on purchasing it before that runs out. And remember the factory plan does not cover rentals, lodging, towing and I am sure I am missing something else.

I know others will say I got a lemon or something to that effect, however, the bottom line is; I ride hard and I ride a lot in the Arizona heat year round. It takes its toll on any piece of equipment. So evaluate your situation and make an informed decision. The ESP has paid for itself at least 2 times over, my value of my ESP... PRICELESS.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:49 AM
rickoshay45
Road Master

I have an 07 FLHTC with 81K on the clock. My last repair bill was $3100, with the ESP I paid $76. I have had 3 other repairs worth about $1000 each. For me it has been worthwhile.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Jeeper_4_Life
2nd Gear

My factory warranty expires on 5/1. I have decided not to do the extended because I figure if something goes wrong with the engine they will blame the stage 1 & tuner that I have put on the bike and deny the claim. So I would be out the cost to repair plus the extended warranty. This may not be the case, but it seems like it is very possible. There are probably a lot of other things that will or could fail besides the engine, which probably woud be covered. Its a gamble one way or another.

I got my first taste of this a few weeks ago when I tried to get the front tire replaced on my 09 FLHX because it was chopped out and causing vibrations at various speeds. Based on what I read on this forum I found the TSB on the front tire. I took it in to see if it could be replaced under warranty, and it was conveniantly under the 1/32 mark. When I measured it prior to taking it in it was 2/32+, but hey its my word against theirs, and any other dealer around is 100+ miles away, so I did not feel I had much choice. Maybe it was because I did not purchase my bike from them too, I do not really know? I figure if it breaks then I will figure out how to repair it myself before I take it to a dealer again. The electronic side is my biggest worry that I may not be able to resolve on my own.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:03 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by harley0711
Insurance is Insurance - I am a retired Fire fighter - I can't tell you how many times I was at a house fire and the occupants said, they decided not to keep their fire insurance up because of the cost..

If you have Extended coverage on your HD and the engine goes, your covered just like fire insurance - no difference, both are a gamble. Its just a comparision.
There is a difference between necessity and luxury. A necessity is something you can't live without and shouldn't chance, a luxury is something you can live without and are better off playing the odds.

Quick Reply: What's your opinion on purchasing extended warranties from HD?