Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires. Bias vs radial

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Tires. Bias vs radial

Just had an email flyer from Jafrum and already ordered a new EIII from Jake Wilson (cheaper) but noticed they carried a radial tire as well as a bias, although the radial was considerably more expensive. I could not however find my size in the radial, or at least one I could decipher. Following is a link to the radial so if someone could please explain the advantages of a radial and the benefits along with the sizing differences I would appreciate it. My tire size is MT90B-16.

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Tir...ring-Rear-Tire

Old 04-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Radials are for the Goldwing.

Harley's use the Bias.

Stick with the Bias.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:37 AM
Clayslayer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Radials behave differently. The terms "radial" and "bias" are determined by the way the belts are woven under the tread in the general construction of the tire. You cannot look at a radial and a bias tire side by side and tell which is which unless you look at the size of the tire and know how to read it.

Radial tires have belts going "across" the tire carcass, bias have belts going "around" the carcass. Horribly simplified, i know, but if you want good info just do a Google search.

Benefits of radial type tires are less deflection and sidewall flex as the tire rotates which creates less heat, as well as stronger overall construction which leads to ultimately smoother rolling, less rolling resistance, greater durability from road hazards, etc. As you flex rubber (or any other substance) it generates heat from friction. The hotter rubber gets the faster it wears. Bias tires are notorious for developing "flat spots" if left in a stationary position for a period of time. Radials do not have this problem. Radials last longer, wear more evenly, resist cupping better, are safer......

Bias type tires are cheaper to make (though generally not cheaper to buy for some reason that eludes me...) and are not seen much in the automotive industry now a days. To my knowledge the only "bias" type tires you can even buy are gigantic off road tires (think 44 inch Super Swamper), agricultural tires, historical reproduction tires for vehicle restoration, and tires to fit your state of the art Harley Davidson....

Radial tires were adopted by the automotive industry in the early 1970s and there hasn't been a bias tire mounted by an OEM since for a reason.

Given the choice if sizes are equal get the radial. Hands down.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:52 AM
honorsdaddy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pumba11
Radials are for the Goldwing.

Harley's use the Bias.

Stick with the Bias.
Why?

Goldwing's also use gasoline. Does that bother you too?

Old 04-25-2011, 12:26 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayslayer
Radials behave differently. The terms "radial" and "bias" are determined by the way the belts are woven under the tread in the general construction of the tire. You cannot look at a radial and a bias tire side by side and tell which is which unless you look at the size of the tire and know how to read it.

Radial tires have belts going "across" the tire carcass, bias have belts going "around" the carcass. Horribly simplified, i know, but if you want good info just do a Google search.

Benefits of radial type tires are less deflection and sidewall flex as the tire rotates which creates less heat, as well as stronger overall construction which leads to ultimately smoother rolling, less rolling resistance, greater durability from road hazards, etc. As you flex rubber (or any other substance) it generates heat from friction. The hotter rubber gets the faster it wears. Bias tires are notorious for developing "flat spots" if left in a stationary position for a period of time. Radials do not have this problem. Radials last longer, wear more evenly, resist cupping better, are safer......

Bias type tires are cheaper to make (though generally not cheaper to buy for some reason that eludes me...) and are not seen much in the automotive industry now a days. To my knowledge the only "bias" type tires you can even buy are gigantic off road tires (think 44 inch Super Swamper), agricultural tires, historical reproduction tires for vehicle restoration, and tires to fit your state of the art Harley Davidson....

Radial tires were adopted by the automotive industry in the early 1970s and there hasn't been a bias tire mounted by an OEM since for a reason.

Given the choice if sizes are equal get the radial. Hands down.
Thanks Clayslayer, couldn't have gotten a better explanation from a tire manufacturer. Still wondering about the sizing though from the web site link.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:25 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 652 Likes on 520 Posts

last ime i looked the radials had low wieght rating not suitable for a bagger.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

I don't take any notice of whether a tyre is bias or radial. What I read are the tyre manufacturers' recommendations for my bike. Most if not all of them offer that information. Removes all doubt, unless you are proposing to use non-stock tyres.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:43 AM
lipster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
I don't take any notice of whether a tyre is bias or radial. What I read are the tyre manufacturers' recommendations for my bike. Most if not all of them offer that information. Removes all doubt, unless you are proposing to use non-stock tyres.
Oh my gosh.
I would never put tyres on my Harley!!
Only tires for me.
Goodness, what were you thinking?

Old 04-26-2011, 05:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by lipster
Oh my gosh.
I would never put tyres on my Harley!!
Only tires for me.
Goodness, what were you thinking?
I never tire of spelling 'tyre' correctly!

Old 04-26-2011, 05:56 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
last ime i looked the radials had low wieght rating not suitable for a bagger.
Well, I would consider a Honda GW a bagger.
2012 Honda GW weight = 904-933# GVWR = 1340#
2011 H-D FLHTCU Limited = 901# running weight GVWR= 1360# Ultra's, Classics and Road Kings are even less.
These running/GVWR loads are within 20 pounds. I'd consider radials if decent wear is there. Hell, I'm considering going to the dark side on my next rear tire change and we know what kind of controversy that starts

Quick Reply: Tires. Bias vs radial