Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really long front brake

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:41 AM
RK1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really long front brake

Since I bought my bike 2 weeks ago the front brake is really long. I actually have to move my fingers from the grip to be able to pull the lever to the point where it stops.

I took it to an indy, had it bled and it didn't improve, he did however point out that if I pump it 2 to three times it will start catching sooner, but still is way too long.

He said that the aftermarket lever could be the cause of it being long. It's my first harley and the previous one I rode (A Rental) had a stock lever.

I was also told to get the Calipers and master cylinder seals done cause of having to pump the brakes.

I'm trying to avoid changing everything he can think of before fixing the problem as opposed to telling me what the problem is.

Has this happened to anyone?, what'd you do to fix it?

Thanks.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:09 AM
Chicago 03 King
Tourer

Originally Posted by RK1
I was also told to get the Calipers and master cylinder seals done cause of having to pump the brakes.

I'm trying to avoid changing everything he can think of before fixing the problem as opposed to telling me what the problem is.

Has this happened to anyone?, what'd you do to fix it?

Thanks.
Had the same problem a year or so back. There are 4 pistons per caliper (2 calipers on the front of a touring bike) and not all were moving correctly so I had "wasted" effort when I pulled the brake lever. You can fix/clean it in an evening with some simple tools....I've attached a previous thread, post #9 & #10 have direction on how to clean and adjust the brakes.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...road-king.html

Old 04-25-2011, 12:12 PM
RK1
Novice

Thanks for tip Chicago...

I'll get on it as soon as I get back home....