Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD mid frame heat deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:14 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD mid frame heat deflectors

I know this has been hashed over many times but I just have to comment. I bought a set of HD deflectors for my 07 Ultra. I have read what a PIA they were to install. Well I'm here to tell ya, using the instructions provided and the hardware enclosed they are impossible to install. How are supposed to tighten the upper bolt on the right side. I used long ball sockets..ground down standard allen wrenches, plus much more. NOTHING WORKED. Finally I bought a 1/4x20 stainless hex head bolt. That worked. Still a little tough but very doable. I know I'll get responses from some who were successful using the stock parts but I sure would like to know in detail how it was done.
Also I looked at all the other brands and liked the HD's the best so please no "I should have bought this or that"

Old 04-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Latraveler
Advanced
Default I had the same problem

I had to do the same thing to the right side and I only have one bolt in the left side. Everything is tight and after a little trimming on the left side to clear the two inch Bub exhaust everything looks fine.

Roger

Old 04-24-2011, 10:01 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

The heat dosen't bother me much, on real hot days when on trips with the girlfriend I use my full sheepskin, If the heat starts to bother me in the future I'll get the leather crotch coolers, ez on an off. I have read that some people claim the HD ones drive the heat under the seat. To each their own.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 PM
ral819
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on the PIA. I had trouble on the right side with getting the spring clip in place and it dropped under the starter(There is no finger room above the right head). I ended up using a nut and washer. I didn't want to have the clip work its way into the belt so I took it to a dealer the next day. They found nothing so, who knows where it went.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:38 PM
tonsa
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the have the kuryakyn clear heat shield and still having head. When my friend got his 2011 ultra I rode it and no heat problem so I bought the HD Mid-Frame Heat deflector. I just installed mine last week and have problem installing it. I used a dremmel to cut the tool to install it and still didn't have enough space. So I both a stainless stell hex nut and it was very easy. Regarding the clip I order one but am thinking of drilling a hole just to screw it so it won't fall off. Any suggestion on the left side to secure it?

My friend has one but its a oem that came when he bought his ultra classic limited 2011 no Harley Logo so He is now thinking of buying the original with log.

Last edited by tonsa; 04-24-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:37 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Installed the HD's after having 2 of the Kury's (both time left side) break over the years. Hope the HD's last longer.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:00 AM
kpb46
Road Master

Almost forgot. I also "slotted" the upper right side mounting hole so I could put the bolt and flat washer in and tighten it up so there was just enough room too "slide" the shield under it..start the bottom bolt and then tighten both. This procedure made the installed MUCH easier

Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,120 Likes on 22,588 Posts

R J's and Cap's are the best!!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:50 AM
lipster
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lionsm13
R J's and Cap's are the best!!
When you put on the Captain's, did you take the plastic ones off?

Old 04-25-2011, 08:02 AM
alkrisma
Road Captain

I like mine a lot

Quick Reply: HD mid frame heat deflectors