Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have the Gerbing's pants?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:45 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone have the Gerbing's pants?

I know the season is over but I will still be riding at night in chilly weather. Finally bought the jacket liner yesterday (already had the gloves, boot liners and dual controller) and was considering the pant liners but the HD shop said they no longer carried them What they have is an outer pant that looks awesome and actually more practical than liners IMO. I guess I can answer my own question but are they actually worth the $280.00??? The sales person said they were water resistant, not waterproof so still need rain gear if raining but I actually like the idea of being able to put them on over a pair of jeans. Just curious and hoping for feedback from anyone that has them.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:17 AM
ks6c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have them and like them, and probably ride with the heated liner zipped out more than in. I use the jacket and gloves first, then the insoles if needed, and finally plug the pants in if it's really, really cold (like below freezing). At that point, I'm not concerned if the pants are water proof or water resistant <grin>

I have ridden in the rain with the outer pants and they have not leaked, but I have not ridden in a frog-strangler so I don't know at what point they would fail.

As for being worth $280, I dunno. How many times a season would you use them? Maybe 2 or 3? And how many seasons would they last for you? Mine seem to get tighter every year..... I bought mine because I had to ferry a bike 1,000 miles in temps that were forecast to fall to freezing - they did, and the pants did their job.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:28 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

While your spending all that money, buy a set of crash bar chaps.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:23 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I've got a pair of the Gerbing XE pants as well as the XE jacket. With this stuff, I can head out in a 40 degree rain and stay dry and warm.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:48 PM
rattlebones
Advanced

I have the outer heated pants and think they are well worth it. I like that I can throw them into the saddlebags on a long trip and have them available when the temp drops on the road but you aren't stuck wearing them the whole ride. Just take them on and off as needed like chaps. As for water proof, maybe not completely but I did ride in a pretty heavy rain for about 45 minutes with them on and stayed bone dry. As for heating they work every bit as good as the jacket liner. With the pants and jacket liner I road about 6 or so hours on the highway in mid 40 degree temps and was comfortable. Another plus with the jacket liner and pants you don’t need to pack a crap load of layers to stay warm on a long trip. If you will be riding in cold weather I highly recommend them. Very pricey but worth it.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:49 PM
strtarrow
Banned

Originally Posted by rattlebones
I have the outer heated pants and think they are well worth it. I like that I can throw them into the saddlebags on a long trip and have them available when the temp drops on the road but you aren't stuck wearing them the whole ride. Just take them on and off as needed like chaps. As for water proof, maybe not completely but I did ride in a pretty heavy rain for about 45 minutes with them on and stayed bone dry. As for heating they work every bit as good as the jacket liner. With the pants and jacket liner I road about 6 or so hours on the highway in mid 40 degree temps and was comfortable. Another plus with the jacket liner and pants you don’t need to pack a crap load of layers to stay warm on a long trip. If you will be riding in cold weather I highly recommend them. Very pricey but worth it.
Living in NC as long as the roads are clear I will ride. Again, working nights it still gets pretty chilly this time of year in the wee hours. Thanks for the feedback. As far as fitting in the saddlebags I guess I am a bit of a over stuffer and the pants are pretty bulky but I will be going for it.

Originally Posted by ks6c
I have them and like them, and probably ride with the heated liner zipped out more than in. I use the jacket and gloves first, then the insoles if needed, and finally plug the pants in if it's really, really cold (like below freezing). At that point, I'm not concerned if the pants are water proof or water resistant <grin>

Like I said I like the idea of being able to wear jeans and strip the pants off. I venture to say I would use them quite a few times. One thing about them as far as how much space they take is they seem to have knee guards inside, thus taking up more room.
I have ridden in the rain with the outer pants and they have not leaked, but I have not ridden in a frog-strangler so I don't know at what point they would fail.

As for being worth $280, I dunno. How many times a season would you use them? Maybe 2 or 3? And how many seasons would they last for you? Mine seem to get tighter every year..... I bought mine because I had to ferry a bike 1,000 miles in temps that were forecast to fall to freezing - they did, and the pants did their job.
Ha ha. Everything I have (clothes) gets tighter every year. I will be riding in the 20's if I can. Love the gear I have so far and the pants will complete the set. One gripe I have and when I go with the pants this should be a non issue is numerous times at least one of my boot connections has come disconnected. I wish they had some sort of clip to keep the connectors connected...

Old 04-24-2011, 07:53 PM
strtarrow
Banned

Originally Posted by drukanfu
While your spending all that money, buy a set of crash bar chaps.
Do you mean the soft lowers or is that a joke. If I ever get around to putting the stock engine guard back on instead of the mustache I plan to get them.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:45 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

I too bought the outer pants as you can easily strip them off if it warms up during the ride. As to rain pants, Gerbing does sell some stuff to wash the past in to help them get closer to waterproof.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:19 PM
ks6c
Tourer

Originally Posted by strtarrow
I wish they had some sort of clip to keep the connectors connected...
I just tie them in a loose overhand knot, otherwise there is no way they stay connected!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,275 Likes on 1,315 Posts

I've thought about getting Gerbings pants but with engine guard chaps http://www.airlite.ca/index.php, heated jacket liner, and unheated overpants (Tourmaster) I don't feel the need. I have ridden down into the lower 20's like this.

Quick Reply: Anyone have the Gerbing's pants?