Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Progressive Monotubes

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 AM
HOMBRE2011
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed Progressive Monotubes

I would like to first thank the HD Forum for hooking me up with Leo in California who sold me the tubes. Secondly, thank you Leo for selling them at a great price and for thanking me for my service to the country.

Ok, first for anyone thinking you cannot do this at home in your own garage your wrong. Don't let the dealer take your money, but be sure to use the right tools. If I can do it so can you. Three of us, with varied degrees of experience and mechanical knowledge, finished this project in 5 hours total. So it's easy to do, with the instructions and "shop manuals" (read magazine articles).

Pitfalls: that damn Allen screw holding the internals down that everyone warns about. Plus one on that! Be sure to buy two new ones from the dealer, one wasn't a problem, but I rounded one out a bit and was glad I bought the spares. The other reason is to replace the copper crush washers that come with them. Proper size cap nut wrench! It's a big one, 1 & 3/8ths I think, guess what I didn't have. 45 min pause later we were cooking with gas. Buy new Teflon coated sliders from dealer they could be worn too, mine were. These go on the fork tubes themselves, are copper coated with Teflon, easy to see if they are worn.

I installed three C clip spacers for the one inch drop as the instructions say. A buddy told me that the SG was already lower in the front so I assumed it would keep it the same height. WRONG. Guess what else I forgot! Before measurements, I knew to do them too I just forgot. So when the bike is dropped down from the lift and it's shorter in the front everyone could tell. It looks good don't get me wrong, it looks aggressive, like the sixties big tire hot rods with air shocks stance. The frame actually looks level now but it has an illusion of leaning forward for some reason.

Ride is as advertised: Firm not stiff. Great road feedback, tight cornering. I'm driving over every bump I see to test it out, so far I'm happy and probably will continue to be. Again thanks to the Forum and the members, who I notice continually reply to NOOB questions, for the help and knowledge posted on here.