Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Line Tranny oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:40 PM
mfortkamp
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Red Line Tranny oil

I wonder what the difference is between the Redline heavy shockproof and the Redline vtwin transmission with shockproof

this is what i got off of Summit Racing

Similar to Red Line's heavy ShockProof oil, V-twin transmission oil with ShockProof provides unequalled protection for both stock and aftermarket American V-twin transmissions. This product dampens transmission noise (reducing the notorious shifting "clunk" found in these gearboxes), dramatically reduces temperature, provides thicker oil films between gear teeth, and completely resists throw-off. Red Line V-twin transmission oil is compatible with petroleums and synthetics. Its viscosity characteristics produce a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low-fluid friction as an SAE 75W90.

Red Line heavy ShockProof gear oil is a unique lubricant containing a suspension of solid microscopic particles as an extreme pressure agent. It provides a unique solid dispersion, which cushions gear teeth to help prevent tooth breakage and allows the use of lower viscosities. The viscosity characteristics allow the lubricant to resist throw-off and provide a film thickness similar to a 75W250 grade, while providing the same low fluid friction as an SAE 75W90. This gear oil is recommended for heavily loaded racing differentials and transmissions, off-road racing, and problem gearboxes.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:46 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Probly the color!
I'm sure both would work fine including the Shockproof Lightweight.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:51 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 253 Likes on 154 Posts

Someone on here talked to the people at Redline & they said it was the same product.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:52 PM
VETERAN75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I recall another thread on this and come to the end that redline said they were the same. No difference except the bottle.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:53 PM
paguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because of the design of the 6 speed Harley tranny, lighter with multiple simultaniously moving parts, I'm useing the redline V twin with shockproof. It's thinner then the shockproof and because of this less heat and drag is generated.
Redline has been making oils for specific application for a lot of years. When they made an oil specific to the 6 speed I went with it. No regrets.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:02 PM
oldguy1946
Cruiser

Originally Posted by paguy
Because of the design of the 6 speed Harley tranny, lighter with multiple simultaniously moving parts, I'm useing the redline V twin with shockproof. It's thinner then the shockproof and because of this less heat and drag is generated.
Redline has been making oils for specific application for a lot of years. When they made an oil specific to the 6 speed I went with it. No regrets.
The Red Line shock proof heavy and the Red Line V Twin with shockproof are identical in viscosity. I called them and was told it was done for marketing reasons so V Twin riders would know it was ok to use in their trannys. They are exactly the same. Call and talk to them.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:08 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by oldguy1946
. They are exactly the same.
Same pink color?
The Shockproof Lightweight is green.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:13 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,532 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
Same pink color?
yep, looks like pepto... just changed mine the other day as well.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:26 PM
oldguy1946
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
Same pink color?
Yes both heavys are pink. I was talking about shock proof heavy and shock proof v twin being the same. I have never seen the light weight so I don't know what color it is.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:26 PM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Probably is just a marketing gimmick, but hey, it works. Got me to try it. And you know what? I kinda like it. I use their oil in all three holes.

Quick Reply: Red Line Tranny oil