Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help on Oil change!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:04 PM
scotracy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u really need motorcycle type oil, hads different chemical needed for an air cooled engine...try to avoid gear oil;....don't want it too thick.. HD syn 3 for oil and tranny...and formula + is best bet...

Old 04-23-2011, 11:10 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by scotracy
u really need motorcycle type oil, hads different chemical needed for an air cooled engine...try to avoid gear oil;....don't want it too thick.. HD syn 3 for oil and tranny...and formula + is best bet...
well, one out of three, guess that isn't all bad. but even that one is debatable.

first, vtwin oil does not have anything 'extra' that is needed for air cooled engines. it does however, have less friction modifiers so it can be used in wet clutch applications. but since our harleys have 3 distinct oil reservoirs, you can use automotive oil in the engine without worry, regardless of what friction modifiers it has in it (which may actually be better for your engine )

gear oil has a different viscosity rating than engine oil, 20/50 is roughly comparative to a 75/90 gear oil.

i do use formula + in the primary though.... so i agree with you there. don't know if i would say its the 'best', but it's certainly no worse than others.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:14 AM
firedocs
Cruiser
Default oil change

Thanks everybody I have plenty of options it seems...I did not realize all the differences in oil...who would have thought?? Anyway Monday I will drain the trans and primary and replace accordingly. I have gear oil already and plan on finding formula+ (whatever that is) for the primary. Again thanks to all who helped me.

Tim

Old 04-24-2011, 12:16 PM
scotracy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by skratch
well, one out of three, guess that isn't all bad. but even that one is debatable.

first, vtwin oil does not have anything 'extra' that is needed for air cooled engines. it does however, have less friction modifiers so it can be used in wet clutch applications. but since our harleys have 3 distinct oil reservoirs, you can use automotive oil in the engine without worry, regardless of what friction modifiers it has in it (which may actually be better for your engine )

gear oil has a different viscosity rating than engine oil, 20/50 is roughly comparative to a 75/90 gear oil.

i do use formula + in the primary though.... so i agree with you there. don't know if i would say its the 'best', but it's certainly no worse than others.
I would be concerned bout using auto oil...if what your saying is true, I can find oil for a dollar, and put it in my bike and no worries?? That would disturb me...

Old 04-24-2011, 12:51 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with Redline all the way, 20-50 for the motor, MTL for primary and Heavy shock proof for the tranny. just my .02

Old 04-24-2011, 02:21 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by scotracy
I would be concerned bout using auto oil...if what your saying is true, I can find oil for a dollar, and put it in my bike and no worries?? That would disturb me...
i wouldn't put that dollar oil in my lawnmower..... my point was that any decent oil will work fine, regardless of whether it is specified v twin or not. that dollar oil is most likely detergent free and additive free and no, i wouldn't use that.

find you a good 20-50 (or 15-50 in the case of mobil1), change it at regular intervals and your engine will not suffer from it. just don't fall into the hype that it must specify 'v-twin' on the label.

Originally Posted by drukanfu
Go with Redline all the way, 20-50 for the motor, MTL for primary and Heavy shock proof for the tranny. just my .02
over at htt forum, there are more than a couple of guys who are going away from mtl in the primary due to 'fretting' in the compensator, especially those that have changed over to the upgraded se compensator

Last edited by skratch; 04-24-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:26 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by firedocs
I have just completed the service of my 2010 SG for the first time at 1K miles. I have researched, bought service manual and did the work myself. I am somewhat mech, inclined and found out that the service was pretty straight forward. However in the midst of all my research I failed to specify oil type. I put synthetic 20w50 oil in all three holes..however I used Valvoline brand and did not realize that there were specific "motorcycle" oils out there. I have not gone any further, should I redo all three with a motorcycle oil or just the crankcase or what do you experts think? Any help is appreciated.
Tim
That oil is fine for the engine, but the tranny would probably be best-served with gear oil. Friction modifiers in most "car oils" are good for the engine, not advisable for the primary, so I would use something like a cheap fossil engine oil (10w40 or 20w50) in that hole. ATF is also used in the primary by many with no problems. Anything else is overkill, IMO.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:19 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

IMO, you should use some type of "TRANS" oil Redline Shock Proof is waht I use In the primary you need to use the corecct type for clutches I run HD F