Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Local shop re:SE255 cams

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down Local shop re:SE255 cams

Stopped by local shop yesterday to ask about cost using the SEPST after I installed the SE255's. His reply was " the SE255's are the one SE part that was trash, need to dump them on someone I don't like ." Then added the tune would run $120 - $180.00.

Next he asked what pipes I am running and when I told him V&H dresser duals with MO's I am told "all V&H mufflers are junk for making power, forget the cams and get some good slip-ons then we will tune it up." Now I know my exhaust system is not a great hp/torque monster but somehow this set-up along with the PCV has been giving me a lot of enjoyable miles. (BTW the reason I have a SEPST and the PCV is the delivering dealer in 08 did a half-baked job tuning with just SE A/C and Rush slip-ons which killed my confidence in it so I went the FM/PCV route.)

This was my 3rd and last stop in 2 years to discuss having them do some work. Since owning the bike I have had a dealer do 1st service (should have done that myself) and change a flat.

I went there thinking a shop that professes to be expert in SE tuners might say "sure, we'll spend 3-4 hours ($350+/-) and give your set-up a great/ride-able tune." Thanks to HDForums, FM, Drago's and other web info I will henceforward remain my own mechanic/upgrade guru.

For those of you that have a shop that listens and knows their way around the SE tuners Congrats! It is apparently not in the cards for me.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:02 AM
HRLYSG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I am sure there are H-D service departments that are very good and capable of doing a good, custom tune, as many or more probably are not. It's unfortunate as I gave a dealer a shot and all I got was a downloaded map and one pull which is their idea of a dyno tune I guess.

I no longer use them for servicing or uprades.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:04 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

I think you know to stay out of that shop from now on.
Some shops just don't get that not everyone wants an all out hot rod.

The 255's are great for cruising as well. Sure there are a few cams that are a little better but for just a drop in and no other changes to compression, etc, they're hard to beat. HD has several canned maps for 255 cams as well so I doubt you'll need a dyno run to enjoy your bike after the cam swap.

There are several videos and or pictorials of do-it-yourself HD cam swaps; those and a shop manual should be all you need.

You should buy the latest HD CD to update your VCI on your SEPST though; #20111-11. They have added several new maps that become available after you install that CD and then chose “check for updates” on the Screamin Eagle Tuner home screen.

I have a canned map in my ’11 CVO and I’m really satisfied how well my bike performs.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:54 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scj
I think you know to stay out of that shop from now on.
Some shops just don't get that not everyone wants an all out hot rod.

The 255's are great for cruising as well. Sure there are a few cams that are a little better but for just a drop in and no other changes to compression, etc, they're hard to beat. HD has several canned maps for 255 cams as well so I doubt you'll need a dyno run to enjoy your bike after the cam swap.

There are several videos and or pictorials of do-it-yourself HD cam swaps; those and a shop manual should be all you need.

You should buy the latest HD CD to update your VCI on your SEPST though; #20111-11. They have added several new maps that become available after you install that CD and then chose “check for updates” on the Screamin Eagle Tuner home screen.

I have a canned map in my ’11 CVO and I’m really satisfied how well my bike performs.

I had pretty much decided to go with the Rev Perf EMS and "forget it" I hope as far as tuners. I just do not have time to learn how to tune unless I want to forfeit a lot of ride time which is limited enough.

I appreciate your feedback on the maps. I had read that a few other times and may yet consider going that route. I guess my only investment would be the cables, maybe the instructional dvd. If the SEPST updated map worked I would be $$ and time ahead.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:00 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

That Indy sounds like an over bearing douche, like the one I used to work for.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:06 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Geez...does the BS ever stop? The 255's are actually very nice bagger cams. Before them it was the 203's that were the favorite HD cam to disparage, mostly by people who never rode a bike with them. Just ride a 255 equipped bike and if it's the kind of power you want; be done with it and stop listening to idiots.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:10 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Is this a dealership shop or indy ? Pretty crass and subtlety not a strength huh? Knowing that I have a couple local dealership shops with well versed tuners, I went with a SEPST. (1) local PCV tuner and (0) TTS tuners in my area. Once my bike is fully tuned/dialed in, I highly doubt I'd try to screw it up by buying the software/cables and tweaking it

Old 04-23-2011, 08:31 AM
smokindave
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I am very happy with the SEPST and dyno I got. No hesitation, decel popping or heat and I am getting 42.4 mpg with just 2K on the bike. Having used a PC on my last 2 bikes and some issues (minor), I decided to go without a piggyback system like the PC-V. Like always, the tune is only as good as the tuner.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:32 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This guy has no experience with cams or slipons. A 96 inch with 255 cams will walk past a factory 103, many of us on here have done this. I was in your place once and was so confused that I wanted to scrap the whole operation. So i pulled the trigger on the SE255's and I am still impressed with the cam overall. Offers a ton of torque, noticeable hp, great sound, nice lope, good fuel economy, quiet operation, and I did not need to increase compression or use a radical tune to get this cam to operate properly. Great cam for my riding style and many others on here.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:31 AM
kbktulsa
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed the 255, and rev perf ems about a month ago, 2000 miles later i am loving it. If they are junk, I love junk!

Quick Reply: Local shop re:SE255 cams