Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More thoughts on lowering my 2010 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:08 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Default More thoughts on lowering my 2010 Ultra

I have put 4,000 miles on my 2010 Ultra Classic and here is what I'm thinking. I'm 5'7 with a 30 inch inseam and weigh 170 lbs. I have the stock Low seat and I'm just barely able to flat foot.I have found wearing a boot with a thicker sole is better than my dress shoes when I ride to work. I checked with C & C about their Sport touring seat and they said it wouldn't be any lower than my stock low seat. They suggested changing the shocks to low profile shocks. I am considering the HD low profile shocks that retail for $279.00. They can probably be ordered some where for 20% off which would make them $223.00.They say they lower the seat height by 3/4 of an inch. My other consideration is the Progressive 940 shocks advertised to lower the seat height by 1 inch.So far the best price I have found is $519.00. Anyone else been in this same situation if so I would sure appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:23 PM
Groversue
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dropped front and back 1in and 3\4 in no regrets, feels good. I have a 31 in inseam and a road zepplin seat

Old 04-22-2011, 11:22 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

as long as you are aware that a lowered bike has reduced cornering clearance ( reduced lean angle).

harsher ride due to less shock travel

and you may scrape stuff on speed bumps

if you are ok with that, the post 09 lowered shocks ( as stock on the street glide) can be found used for cheap by upgrading riders, or for about $220 at zanotti's H-D or your discount dealer of choice.

I put my stock height rear shocks back on when touring, only takes 20 minutes to swap shocks. short in town, tall on the road.

I'd leave your front at shock height, keep all the suspension travel you have- nothing worse than the fender smacking the bottom of the triple tree. and with a lowered front you cannot swap rear shock height at will.

mike

Old 04-23-2011, 08:06 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 440 Posts

I'm having the same problem on my limited. I exactly your size or a hair shorter. I tried the Progressive 940 shocks. They lowered me about 1/2" and thats all. The ride was good but needed to go lower. They were kinda a pain to remove the saddle bags to adjust for riding 1 up or 2up. I had saddle bags guards on. I hear if you dont have the guards you can just pull the pins and rest the bag against your leg to make the adjustment. Anyway sold them at a lose of $75.00. I may try the 12" street glide shocks if I can pick some up cheap. I bought some logger boots with 1" higher soles and wear them. Best thing I've tried so far. HMT

Old 04-23-2011, 08:17 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
As long as you are aware that a lowered bike has reduced cornering clearance ( reduced lean angle).

Harsher ride due to less shock travel and you may scrape stuff on speed bumps.

mike
That's the only thing that has kept me from lowering my Ultra Classic.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:48 PM
cornking
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lowered my 10UC yesterday, but did not get a chance to ride today. i do not have any issues with height and flat-footing, i just like the looks of the lowered rear end. i went with the LA Choppers 1 inch lowering blocks because there is only a very slight change in the shock angle. hope to get a ride in tomorrow before it rains here again.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:51 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cornking
lowered my 10UC yesterday, but did not get a chance to ride today. i do not have any issues with height and flat-footing, i just like the looks of the lowered rear end. i went with the LA Choppers 1 inch lowering blocks because there is only a very slight change in the shock angle. hope to get a ride in tomorrow before it rains here again.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Groversue
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've read all the reasons why not to lower but I did it anyway last winter and you may not believe me but I don't drag on corners or drag bottom on speed bumps or bottom out except where I would normally expect too(like large potholes) no damage has been done to my ultra classic. By the way I weigh 290 and i'm guessing my wife is about 170 and we ride 2 up alot........draw your own conclusions

Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Daddio
Tourer

I changed from 13" stockers on my Limited after around 1,500 miles to the lower Street Glide shocks for the same reasons... my legs aint long enough to feel comfortably flat-footed. The lower Street Glide shocks helped a lot. The problem was the bike would bottom out way too much with my wife on board or any added weight in the bags and trunk. Solo riding was good though. i am 5' 9'' close to 200lbs.

i rode with the street glide shocks all last season for not quite 2,000 miles. This year I decided to try the progressive 940's, which i just put on the bike today. I have not really had a chance to rack up any miles or put the added 110 lbs. of my wife on the back yet, but i can tell already the setup is a lot better than the Harley Sreet glide air shocks, at keast as far as sag and bottoming out goes. The ride "height" and getting my feet planted firmly seems about the same to me. I found the Progressive 940 shocks here for $465.95 with free shipping.

http://www.kustomemporium.com/ViewPr...ber=940-4020UT

They shipped my order pretty quick, too...had them in a few days.
The same outfit also has them listed on Ebay for a little bit higher price.
(Kustom Emporium) I have no connection with these guys in an way, just making anyone out there who might be looking for these shocks aware of a place to order them.

Also if you might be interested it a fair deal on my HD Street glide shocks good as new with less than 2,000 miles on them send me a message. I paid like $235 bucks with tax From my local HD Dealer with the 20% discount at an Open House the dealer had going on.
I can save you some bucks if you plan on buying the Street Glide version.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:15 PM
cornking
Tourer

Originally Posted by shortride
i deserve that. i will post some up tomorrow. from LA Choppers website there is a short youtube video of the installation. very simple and straight forward, less than 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: More thoughts on lowering my 2010 Ultra