Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FM Modulator Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 01:42 AM
Pops
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ktm_scott
Pops, What year is your Ultra? Maybe it doesn't have an aux input jack. What brand of modulator are you using?

I had an FM modulator on an older iPod that simply plugged into the iPod headphone jack and broadcast on whatever channel I selected. In rural areas, I never had any issues with interference and I suspect Pops wouldn't have them either in Alaska.

I'll be up there in June if you need help and being from Texas, I love BBQ!
I appreciate the offer. I spoke with guy on the forum that has a stereo shop and this is what he installs on numerous bikes. My AUX jack is no longer tight so the wiggle allows the radio to cut out. I hope this will fix the problem.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:45 AM
Pops
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dc1450
Seriously, the Aux input is a better option. There is even an Iphone magnetic tank pouch in the accessory catalog you can use.
AUX Input is not a better option when this is te second time it has failed. You got any other suggestions.....

Old 04-25-2011, 01:48 AM
Pops
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ktm_scott
Pops, What year is your Ultra? Maybe it doesn't have an aux input jack. What brand of modulator are you using?

I had an FM modulator on an older iPod that simply plugged into the iPod headphone jack and broadcast on whatever channel I selected. In rural areas, I never had any issues with interference and I suspect Pops wouldn't have them either in Alaska.

I'll be up there in June if you need help and being from Texas, I love BBQ!
The Ultra is an 03 and I am getting the ISimple IS77.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:06 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pops
AUX Input is not a better option when this is te second time it has failed. You got any other suggestions.....
No Pops, I don't. I've had the HD Road Tec XM radio connected to the aux port for six years now on my '05 RG.
It has never been a problem. But maybe it's because the XM is permanently connected and not constantly plugged/unplugged?

Last edited by dc1450; 04-25-2011 at 04:09 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:15 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The FM Modulator I use is from SIRIUS. It is a passive unit (requires no power) and works Great.
But it does require the sound to already be on an FM Frequency to operate.

I do have an older FM Modulator I don't use any more that has the FM Frequency Modulator built in already.
It has separate Audio inputs and does require an outside power source.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 04-25-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Daddio
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CHeck out Iron Cross Audio.com. Call them. Get the thing hardwired to radio and forget about jacks and external inputs. Lots of people here have been helped/guided by the fellas at Iron Cross.
They will steer you in the right direction.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:50 PM
Pops
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dc1450
No Pops, I don't. I've had the HD Road Tec XM radio connected to the aux port for six years now on my '05 RG.
It has never been a problem. But maybe it's because the XM is permanently connected and not constantly plugged/unplugged?
If i had to guess I would probably agree. According to the shop it is a problem up here especially in the past couple years, ppossibley due to the amount of rain. I have never liked the AUX plug so am looking forward to a change. If it doesn't satisfy me then there will be other options

Old 04-25-2011, 07:00 PM
natetp1227
Advanced

Pops..........your best bet for sound quality is to use the aux input on the stereo. An FM transmitter is the 2nd option. If you are using an FM transmitter that requires a cigarette lighter your other option would be to install a plug in the tour pack. That way it is accessible at all times. If you want to go the route of removing the fairing and installing there it is real simple. There are 2 T-25 star bolts on each side. One on the topr outside and the other inside the forks on the bottom. Then you need to remove the windshield with the 3 bolts. Pull the fairing up gently and start to tilt towards the front of the bike and it will come up over the fog lights. You will need to remove the headlight plug which is a pinch connection, squeeze and pull. You can use the cigarette plug as a ground and power. Just splice in!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate to be Negative Nellie, but I tried a modulator on my RG and it didn't work--it didn't like the audio coming from my Garmin Zumo AT ALL. Other audio sources worked ok through it, but not the Zumo. My point is, if it works--great! But if it doesn't, don't beat your head against the wall wondering what you're doing wrong like I did. Some gizmos just don't play nice with each other.

I have had zero trouble with a cord running to the AUX jack on the radio.