Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E.Glide wind hitting in the chin

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:36 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default E.Glide wind hitting in the chin

I ride an 09 FLHT and am having a problem with wind hitting me right in the chin. THis is not simply wind from riding, but a straight jetstream of air that rattles my jaw. I don't know how to fix/redirect it so I thought I would seek some assistance. I have a 10" LRS Ultra shield, Freedom Wings with the "Plus", Harley fork baffle, and vented lower fairings. Needless to say I'm stumped. If I put my arm horizontally across my stomach area when riding the jetstream goes away and all is good, remove my arm and the teeth chattering is back. It seems like the wind is being funneled between my lowers and Freedom Wings.

I appreciate any suggestions/help.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:21 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

I have an 08 with vented lowers, the stock fairing deflectors, fork air baffle and a Cee Bailey SSC windshield and never have I experienced jaw chattering wind. With the stock shield I didn't either. Did you have this issue with the stock shield? If not, I would start looking at your shield selection as your issue.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:42 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use your hand and follow where the air is coming from. You will see it is coming from over your crash bar, if you didn't have the lowers it would be coming from under it as well (about six inches above and 6 inches below the top crash bar). It flows back then is sucked up into the vacuum behind the fairing. I had to make my own wind screen to cover the area above and below the top crash bar. Now the wind is redirected directly up behind the fairing behind the windshield, I have to put my face close to the windshield to feel it. And it is not just wind, it is buffeting, not the same thing. Do a search on buffeting there is a lot of talk about it, but I found nothing on the market to fix it.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:28 PM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Try the ugly fork air deflectors. They seem to push the air that would be going under the fairing and over the top of the lowers up and away. I put a set on my FLHTK last fall for the winter. I like riding in the calm air so much better now that even as the weather is warming up their staying on. As an added benefit, you'll hear your stereo and your exhaust sound more.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:36 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

07 FLHT STD stock W/S no problems

Old 04-21-2011, 08:50 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
Try the ugly fork air deflectors. They seem to push the air that would be going under the fairing and over the top of the lowers up and away. I put a set on my FLHTK last fall for the winter. I like riding in the calm air so much better now that even as the weather is warming up their staying on. As an added benefit, you'll hear your stereo and your exhaust sound more.
Do the fork deflectors work with lowers?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:00 PM
allofus81
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the new FLTRX or FLTRU problem solved.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Try a regular set of fairing wind deflectors ?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I had the same problem and went threw all the suggested cures. I have all the accessories you do including the faring lowers.

The fork mounted are deflector did the trick for me.

However, my bike is a Road King and with the way the Road King is set up I had some adjustability to the air deflectors. I only have a 1/8 inch clearance between the air deflectors and my fairing lowers at full turn lock.

The Harley Parts manual does state they will not work with fairing lowers.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Fork mounted air deflectors+++++++++++++++++++++++

They sit very close to the lowers, but are easy to modify.

Quick Reply: E.Glide wind hitting in the chin