Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E.Glide wind hitting in the chin

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I had a similar issue, and I got the little half round deflector that stops the airflow between the fairing and the tank. It solved the problem for me.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:02 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I have pretty much the same problem with my 2010 EG Ultra Classic.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:05 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10" dark LRS X-Stream 3.0

Old 04-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Clearview Shields
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default We'd love to help

Hi Gtrplry...I'd love to help. Riders worldwide have found that our shields solve the exact problem you are having. Feel free to give me a call. To ensure that riders get the performance they expect and deserve, every Clearview shield is shipped with a clear plastic wrap allowing you to test ride the shield - we gladly do exchanges, returns, etc. Our goal is for you to have the perfect shield - not just a quick sale.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:43 AM
wd112
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed 10' long ride shield,fairing wings, and fork mounted air defectors helps alot.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Keefersan
Advanced

I've been having the same issue. Enough buffeting to cause your vision to blur... Only thing I did was change the stock windshield with a Clearview 8.5" Recurve. Most of the buffeting is gone - not all of it but the majority is gone. The full face helmet doesn't help. Same roads/speeds without my full face helmet are much more tolerable.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

With a full-face helmet (not gonna ride without it, not open to discussion), I had buffeting that blurred my vision (09 Ultra). That's not a matter of "not liking to be in the wind", it's a serious matter of safety. Sometimes couldn't read road signs. I installed the "ash tray" to the lower triple clamp. Couldn't notice the difference. Tried a Clearview with recurve. Nice shield, but didn't help. Tried a Cee Bailey SSC. Love the look, but doesn't help. Then I installed the Harley chrome fork wind deflectors. I had to bend them just a bit to clear the lowers at full lock. This did the trick. I do not have any buffeting at any speed.

Of course, now I'm hot as hell if the ambient temperature is anywhere near 60°F.

What a shame that H-D can't build a bike with good airflow management.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:26 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Where did you guys pick up the chrome fork lowers? As mentioned earlier, I had a similar problem with my 1700 Yamaha and picked up a little wider windshield and some acryllic fork lowers. Helped get rid of all the buffeting especially when I added a set of Desert Dawgs to the crash bars. It really helped alot in colder weather. Whith my EG Ultra Classic, I get the same problem I had with the Yami. Thought i might be just a sissy, but glad to hear I'm not the only one. I might get a pair of chrome lowers and see if they fit with a small bit of modification. Or, i don't mind taking off the hard lowers. I got a set of desert dawgs for Christmas because I intended to take the hard lowers off the bike for the summer anyway. Just opening up the vents doesn't always cut it.
Here is where I got the half-moon windshield for my Yami. Thinking abot getting one again for the Harley.(http://www.customflhtwindshields.net/) Or, I might try one from Mark at Clearview Shields especially since you can try it just to make sure its what you want.

cass

Last edited by cass; 04-22-2011 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 03:38 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

The wind deflectors come from H-D, among others:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

If the link doesn't work, it's P/N 58121-85B.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:15 AM
01flhtc
Novice

I have a set of chrome fork mounted deflectors sitting in my basement if someone wants to buy them. They are not perfect as they were on my bike for several years and one of them has what appears to be a water stain on the chrome that I cannot wax out. If interested PM me and I can get some pictures taken and send them to you. Someone might as well put them to good use.

Quick Reply: E.Glide wind hitting in the chin