Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E.Glide wind hitting in the chin

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I have pretty much the same setup as you:

This may sound stupid but I get the teeth chatering with my 3/4 helmet, but not with my half helmet.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:36 PM
Cme2c
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree that the fork mounted air deflectors will make the difference. I had some on my SG along with the lower fairings. I only had them on briefly because even though I am a strong believer in "function over form", there is a limit to how much "butt ugly" I could put up with!

Old 04-22-2011, 12:02 AM
jaxbusa
Cruiser

I'm 6'3'' and have a classic with a stock windshield. I don't have any buffetting except when I have my feet on the highway pegs. It lets the wind ride right up my legs and rattles my head. Other than that I am comfortable in the normal riding postition.
Also, I would think that a change in helmet might help, as stated above.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:04 AM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy

This may sound stupid but I get the teeth chatering with my 3/4 helmet, but not with my half helmet.
Interesting.... I normally wear either a fullface or 3/4.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:21 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy

I've had the same issue for years,full face helmet head shakes alot,doubles my vision over 50mph,3/4 with a sheild,same......half lid I deal with it,not so bad.
vented lower,different wind shields,air deflectors,fork baffle, nothing ever worked for me,i pick my helmet by where im heading each ride........95% it will be my half lid
seems some of us have this some dont..............not a clue on the fix on this.........so i keep reading about it,LOL

Old 04-22-2011, 06:12 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Yes they work with the hard vented lowers on my 2010 FLHTK. I had some pieces of self adhesive auto door rubber molding that you can get at any auto parts store and I stuck a small piece on the inside of the left deflector where it comes real close to the front of the left lower when the handle bars are turned to the lock postion. I also stuck some of the auto door molding to the edge of the air deflectors to fill the gap between deflectors and the forks, and cut small pieces of black duct tape to seal the small gaps between the new air deflectors and the vents on the bottom of the fairing.
Not only is 95% of the wind gone, but the (was) unknown benifit is how the air deflectors along with the hard lowers keep you dry in the rain.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 04-22-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:38 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The set of fork mounted air deflectors I had would not work with my lowers. They would hit the lowers at full lock. Not a big deal for normal riding on the highway but was a problem when parking etc. I gave mine to my brother.

I have the adjustable side deflectors for the fairing along with the fork baffle and non vented lowers. Don't have much of a wind issue depending on the direction of the wind. Some say that the taller windshields cause more vaccume behind the fairing. I would not know for sure personally since I don't have a real tall windshield.

I will say that I can have a smoke going down the road without getting ashes blown into my face etc.

Attached Thumbnails E.Glide wind hitting in the chin-0731100903a.jpg  
Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 AM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Texas rapier.... nice lookin ride. Which aftermarket Batwing did you go with and how do you like it?

I'm trying to decide between a roadking with aftermarket detachable Batwing and a Streetglide......... The road king wins out with the versatility of being able to remove the fairing if you wanted to, but the FLHX has the beauty of having the Speedo and tacho mounted in the fairing which looks much better than the detachable fairings look in my opinion..... Its been 6 months and I still can't decide.

Last edited by thewholehog; 04-22-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:31 AM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BirchwhiteHD
I've had the same issue for years,full face helmet head shakes alot,doubles my vision over 50mph,3/4 with a sheild,same......half lid I deal with it,not so bad.
vented lower,different wind shields,air deflectors,fork baffle, nothing ever worked for me,i pick my helmet by where im heading each ride........95% it will be my half lid
seems some of us have this some dont..............not a clue on the fix on this.........so i keep reading about it,LOL
This problem is exactly what is stopping me pulling the trigger on a new FLHX..... did you try the chrome fork mounted air deflectors everyone is suggesting??

Old 04-22-2011, 08:58 AM
dstrat1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have gone round and round with this problem...the fork mounted deflectors help the most..I made several sets my self from aluminum, and then bought the Kuryakyn one for looks....The freedom wings help when they are turned out, so the scoop air in toward you instead of pushing it away...and the other big help is a clearview screen, with the vent..the vent makes a big difference....I can ride at 70 to 80 with no turbulence , no eyeglass shake , ball cap on no problem...........

Quick Reply: E.Glide wind hitting in the chin