Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just taking it off- Tour Pak

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Weekender2010
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Uniquelydunn
I have looked into the detachable tour pak kit, but want to remove it for now. If I purchased the harnesses, is that all I would need to do for now?

Let me know if we can get it off fairly easily. I'm worried about wiring and antennas relocators, but will purchase them. Just will be a removal until quick detach kit rack is purchased.

Christopher
It's a whole different scoot without the pack. For around town having it removed is the ticket. On trips it's nice to have back there.

JMO

Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 AM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the detachable kit, I can't put it on by myself. I wish someone would do a video of taking it on and off by themselves. I like the look w/o the pak, but I like the added storage space and the wife likes the support when 2 up. It usually stays on most of the time.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 AM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the OP's question is: How big of a hassle is it to temporarily unbolt the pak until he has time/funds to install the detach system? Seems to me a person could relocate the antennas (or just coil under seat), unclip rear speakers (connectors inside of pod), relocate pass CB receptacle (or coil under seat/ side panel), and relocate the plate. The only harness necessary would be for any lights/12v outlets in the trunk (My FLHTK has 5 such wires).

So theoretically, I could install one 6 hole connector for the lights, mount my plate somewhere, coil all of the wires to the pack under the seat/side covers, and remove the 4 bolts to unbolt the pak from the struts. Its not ideal, but it would be a temporary solution.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:35 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't know which model bike the OP has,but it only takes me 15-20 mins to remove or install the tour pak on my Classic.It is no big hassle at all.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:01 PM
DXTBIKER
Cruiser

Originally Posted by crackercap
I have the detachable kit, I can't put it on by myself. I wish someone would do a video of taking it on and off by themselves. I like the look w/o the pak, but I like the added storage space and the wife likes the support when 2 up. It usually stays on most of the time.
I looked on youtube and found only one and its pretty cheesy. Im thinking about putting a detach bracket on mine also, but thinking, how much of a pain is it really to use.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:14 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Every time I think about making mine detachable, I look at all the crap I carry in it. I can't see giving up that space.
Plus one, I always have stuff in it, don't think I would ever have a chance to ride with it off.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:41 PM
DXTBIKER
Cruiser

Here's the video i was talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqdJA2TuwlU

Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 PM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For my 05 it was pretty easy to remove. Went and got a laydown liscense plate frame. Take the seat off, remove both saddle bags, open pack, unplug light harness and antenna harness, pulled them through the hole in the bottom of the pack. Remove chrome rail covers. Remove the forward mounting screws for the tourpack frame work. Remove the lower screws on the bottom of the liscense plate bracket. Do this carefully as this will be all that is holding the tourpack and frame work in place. Carefully lift the pack off and set aside in a safe place. Reinstall chrome side covers seat and bags. Install laydown liscense plate bracket and liscense plate. Go ride. Forgot to add, I wrapped the extra harness and antenna coax up and tucked it in nicely behind the battery under the seat. Don't need the antenna since I run an Ipod through the stereo anyway.

Your seat is going to look kind of goofy though. The back portion will look like a giant marshmallow. I found a passenger backrest and rack kit on line and purchased the two point docking kit. It camoed the seat pretty good but I eventually purchased a sundowner which looks alot better.

Attached Thumbnails Just taking it off- Tour Pak-0524091539a.jpg   Just taking it off- Tour Pak-0325101835a.jpg   Just taking it off- Tour Pak-0731100902a.jpg  
Old 04-20-2011, 09:16 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I removed tour pack from my Wife's UC because of the extra weight and tuck all the wiring under the seat ,but I installed a white CB antenna which I bought from a truck stop very reasonable and a self made hidden radio antenna works great. She wanted a SG but want all the luxury of the UC without pizza box and that's what she got. My self I be lost without my pizza box, but the weight of the tour pack makes hell of difference.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:27 PM
ehans
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Navy Mustang
It's funny how people always want to change what they have. I have a street glide ( and love it ), and also have the detach kit to install a tourpak when I go on extended trips. I was actually considering looking into ways of making the install more permanent. LOL!
Exactly. I have a Road King Classic and decided I like the look - and usefulness - of the Tour Pak on there so the only time it comes off is when I am washing the bike.