Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police saddle bags?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 06:33 PM
Sputter
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Police saddle bags?

Evening everyone-
I'm chasing down a lead on a set of lids from police bags dirt cheap! Wondering what I need to do to put these on my Electra Glide bags? Can I just remount the hinges? I'm planning a tear down and repaint this winter so filling the holes etc would be done at that point. I can get the lids with the hinges, just no bags.

thanks for the input

Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Since you're doing a repaint anyway, why not just go for the whole bag? I know the lids are way cheaper, just that way, you will still have the original bags for your bike.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Sputter
Advanced

I have been pricing the complete bag and not liking what I'm finding!!! I can get the lids and hardware for almost nothing, but not sure what it will take to get them on my bottoms

Old 04-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Police bags?

Aren't the police bags wider than stock bags?
Isn't there a big hole in the top of them?
Won't they turn you into an a$$hole who pulls law abiding citizens over for no good reason and stops at every doughnut shop.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:43 PM
Sputter
Advanced

Weeeeeel I sure hope not!! Of course the lights would be nice for getting cars outta my way when I wanna go, go ,go!! )

I have not heard the bags are wider, this could be a deal stopper for sure. I would probably convert the current opening mech to the flush mount chrome jobbies I've seen on ebay etc so the holes in the top would not be a big deal.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 PM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bags are the same size.

I have an 07 FLHTP and just sold an 07 FLHTC. The bags are the same size.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:02 PM
CheezyRiderAZ
Advanced

The cop bags are identical in size and shape to the civilian bags and even have dimples where the civilian hardware would mount.
The differences are the latch, hinges, lock, and keeper cable.
I like my cop bags and, after trying an aftermarket pushbutton latch, have switched back to my "hockeypuck" latches. They're positive, weathertight, and do not have the dreaded spring, like on the civilian latch mechanism.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:04 PM
ahpd1992
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I too have an old police bike an 05 flhtp, Il sell you my bags, lids and all they just sitting in my basement. I already have the chrome push buttons on them to replace the hockey pucks. I even have a set of reflectors that fit in the space where the OEM harley handles go that make it look like they are stock. You can have em all cheap, PM me Il give you a price. I put a set of Sumax Big *** Bags on mine and love em, Im never puttin the police bags back on

Tom

Old 04-19-2011, 09:34 PM
snip0721
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ahpd1992
I too have an old police bike an 05 flhtp, Il sell you my bags, lids and all they just sitting in my basement. I already have the chrome push buttons on them to replace the hockey pucks. I even have a set of reflectors that fit in the space where the OEM harley handles go that make it look like they are stock. You can have em all cheap, PM me Il give you a price. I put a set of Sumax Big *** Bags on mine and love em, Im never puttin the police bags back on

Tom
pm. sent steve

Old 04-19-2011, 09:44 PM
mountaintac
Intermediate

Hay man......FYI - 2007 and newer FLHTPs have the ABS brake silhouette molded into the right side bag to fit over the ABS Brake Component located on the right side under where the saddle bag sits. IT DOES take up a lot of your bag space for the right side bag. So make sure that the ones you are looking at DON’T have the molded in compartment.

Best of luck to ya……………….

Quick Reply: Police saddle bags?