Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU is Dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:46 PM
patsfan
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mtclassic
why? he did not use Jamie.
I believe that if it has a tts file still loaded in the ecm that is the problem. I bet reflashing/reloading the orginal cal will be what needs to be done so rev perf can do their magic.
If thats the case, would that not mean that any ECM that had prior downloads or aftermarket tuners should be re-flashed to stock before RP can do their thing? Or would it be something specific to the TTS?

Old 04-19-2011, 08:34 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by patsfan
If thats the case, would that not mean that any ECM that had prior downloads or aftermarket tuners should be re-flashed to stock before RP can do their thing? Or would it be something specific to the TTS?
That's a very good question. I hope RP had the foresight to know this might be an issue. If they start having problems like this with the EMS compounded with the problems they had with their cylinders and pistons, they may be in deep doo doo. I bet they spent a boat load of money coming up with the EMS.

Last edited by 1931jamesw; 04-19-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 PM
TexasVet
Tourer

I know the file in the ECM is my TTS file. When I originally dyno tuned the bike, the tuner sold me Direct Link and he was not able to backup the original calibration file so it is lost. I have since purchased TTS Mastertune until I did the 107 build, which I've been trying to tune with TTS and have spent a week riding around with a laptop.

The file on the bike is TTS and I believe MT8, since the TTS software was upgraded last month with a new revision that produced MT8 files.

I have since emailed RP on what I believe that the problem is and I do not, at this time, think the ECM is dead, just that they cannot communicate to it. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I talk with them.

What worries me that if anyone else that has a race tuner or TTS sends their ECM for this procedure are they going to be at the same crossroad as I am?

Old 04-19-2011, 08:45 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TexasVet

What worries me that if anyone else that has a race tuner or TTS sends their ECM for this procedure are they going to be at the same crossroad as I am?
My case in point, exactly. If they didnt have the foresight to see that this may be an issue and spent the kind of money they probably spent developing the EMS, their company needs some serious restructuring, if it survives.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:48 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexasVet
I know the file in the ECM is my TTS file. When I originally dyno tuned the bike, the tuner sold me Direct Link and he was not able to backup the original calibration file so it is lost. I have since purchased TTS Mastertune until I did the 107 build, which I've been trying to tune with TTS and have spent a week riding around with a laptop.

The file on the bike is TTS and I believe MT8, since the TTS software was upgraded last month with a new revision that produced MT8 files.

I have since emailed RP on what I believe that the problem is and I do not, at this time, think the ECM is dead, just that they cannot communicate to it. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I talk with them.

Better call TTS if it's a MT8, HD can't read or write to it. You could also try posting your problem on the HarleyTechtalk forums in the
AFR section.

Last edited by hornhonker; 04-19-2011 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:57 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
My case in point, exactly. If they didnt have the foresight to see that this may be an issue and spent the kind of money they probably spent developing the EMS, their company needs some serious restructuring, if it survives.
The MT8 type map is new and uses until now forbidden memory areas of the
ECM. Only a TTS married to the ECM has any chance of reversing the process.
RP simply needs to be sure no one sends an ECM with a MT8 loaded to them.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:01 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by hornhonker
So maps from other tuners like Power Commander, SERT, SEST, SEPST, ect, ect wont be a problem for rev perf?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:03 PM
TexasVet
Tourer

Originally Posted by hornhonker
The best I could do is load the file from the dyno tune that I backed up when I bought TTS. I'm assuming the file that was created with Direct Link is not a MT8 file.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:39 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

TTS mt8 cals are such that the hd dealer can not reflash them or change them unless the original cal has been reflashed back and I am finding that even after I reflashed my ecm with the original cal I can not use my sespt to log data.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:12 PM
scotty3
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Yep you can't flash over a TTS MT8 file or even a MT7 file (since ver 1.61) with other tuning devices. Even the SEPST comes up with a "stop reflash" error and says to retry.
Only way is to put back the original MTE file but you didn't make one.
I know ways around that but I am in Australia so no help to you.

Quick Reply: ECU is Dead