Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Mild-Mannered Cam for 2011 103" Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by misfit
If your SG came with the 103 from the factory then you already have the 255 cam.
No it does not, the SE Stage II 103 kit is not the 103 that comes from the factory.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:47 AM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
What would be the best mild-mannered, street-able cam for my 2011 103" Street Glide?

In addition to the cam, I'll be doing a HD Stage I intake & Rinehart 4" slip-ons.

I do about 80% solo riding.

I'm looking for a cam that's just a notch above stock. Something that's quiet and idles nicely.

What cam would Harley have used on stock bikes, if they were allowed by the EPA?

Thanks
The SE255 cam is your short answer. I believe this is the cam used in the CVO 110" engines. It will work very well, idle nicely and make good low end torque. It's a "notch above stock" for what you have and a bolt in replacement to what you have (you'll still need to tune the bike)

As others have said the TW-555 would also be a great choice for maximizing your low end power, but you would have a slightly rougher idle and most probably not be EPA compliant as I don't think Woods has done any EPA certificaiton with their cams or tuning to support the cam install. FYI..this is the cam going in my bike this winter. On the Fuel Moto website they have a video and sound of this cam idleing and some low revs so you can hear it.

My brother has the SE204 in his 96" dyna with V&H short shots. It's a good down low torque cam, but it has some chomp at idle. Personally, I think it sounds awsome, but it doesn't idle like stock, if that is what you are after. It does ride nice and make lots of low end power, but from what I can tell is all done by 4500 - 5000 rpm. I have no idea on EPA compliance with this cam; however your HD dealer may have some insight.

You might want to check out the Fuel Moto website as they have a nice dyno graph comparision of the TW-555 vs. SE255. Dyno numbers aren't everything but do give an indication of where the cams make power and the FM webiste show this back to back on the same bike, same day.

With any cam, you'll pick up some increase in sound. More air/fuel in = bigger bang in the combustion chanber. Bigger bang = more sound. It's not a huge difference, but will be noticable.

Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:29 AM
Avalanche_Mutt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Woods TW6-6 and love them but the TW555 came out after I got the TW6-6 would have gotten the TW-555 if they would have been out!

Old 04-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Linville Lion
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really can not speak to the other cams but I have the SE255s and I really like them. You can "feel" the cam right off of the bottom and 6th gear is now usable. I ride in the western North Carolina mountains and determined that power off of the bottom was important. I shift at 3,500 and I never feel them falling off...and it will keep pulling after shifting.

96 inch turned 103 with SE Stage II kit.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:42 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Linville Lion
I really can not speak to the other cams but I have the SE255s and I really like them. You can "feel" the cam right off of the bottom and 6th gear is now usable. I ride in the western North Carolina mountains and determined that power off of the bottom was important. I shift at 3,500 and I never feel them falling off...and it will keep pulling after shifting.

96 inch turned 103 with SE Stage II kit.
Looking at your list of bikes, I had to smile, 84 KTM 250 mxc, ahhhhh the bike that put me into retirement. What an ill handling motocross bike, horrible no damping undersprung flexy forks and shocks that were super stiff and leaked in the back of the truck on the way home from the dealership. Sorry if you love yours, no disrespect intended.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:52 PM
scotracy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stage one with no cam.... don't open a brand new engine...keep her stock, you won't regret it!!

Old 04-21-2011, 09:56 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
Having never done a cam swap, I'm not in a position to criticize any specific components. However, I'm a little turned off by the idea adjustable pushrods. While I'm sure they perform fine, aren't they basically just a time saving shortcut?

If time and labor were free, would you choose to use adjustable or stock pushrods?
If you DIY the labor is free and the trade-off is the extra 2-3 hours to "go through the rockers" vs. the cost of adjustables. I agree with Razorsedge that adjustables are not likely to come loose if locked properly, and riding with them (Rivera Taperlite) for >100k miles on my 1996 Evo I only had one loosen, and that was likely because I didn't lock it properly.

My choice for the '07 was to save the $150 on adjustables and suffer the agony of pulling the rocker assembly apart. It is a minor hassle, but once done it is done and you've saved a good chunk of money. If you're frugal like me you'll sacrifice the time, IMO. OTOH if you have someone else do the job the cost may be a wash. The virtues of adjustables is that if you want to swap cams again or replace the lifters, the job will be much easier and quicker. All that said, I would do the same thing again and reuse the stockers, as I won't be doing another cam job on this bike and I'm hoping the lifters will remain good for the duration.

Last edited by iclick; 04-21-2011 at 12:08 PM.