Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 AM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control help needed.

Over the weekend I installed a Boom audio kit (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/568/76...-Speakers.aspx). I followed the instructions and it works great. No complaints with it.

BUT...

Now I'm having trouble with my cruise control. I don't know if it's related to my audio. Maybe you can tell me.

I pulled the main fuse when I did the install of the Boom audio kit (per instructions). Six hours later when everything was back together I went for a short ride. All lights and indicators work with no problems. I didn't get a chance to test the cruise control until Monday when I went to work.

On Monday, the cruise control indicater light was red but it would not engage or set. After thinking about it for a bit, I made sure the cruise control switch (left side) was set to OFF and then I pulled the main fuse again. Then reinstalled the fuse. I didn't get a chance to test the cruise control until this morning. I got up to speed in traffic, turned the cruise control ON and set my speed. The indicator light turned green and my speed was set. I thought I was a friggin' genius!

That idea was short lived.

I ended up hitting my brakes (cancelling the cruise control). When traffic cleared again and I tried to resume cruise contol but it would not work. And it wouldn't set after I turned it OFF and back ON either. I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

Last edited by kredin; 04-19-2011 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:56 PM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member

I pulled the fuse and reseated it before I came home from work tonight. Too bad it didn't help any.

Any ideas? Anyone?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:07 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You may have to "zero" or recalibrate the servo before it will work again. There's a procedure to do it. Maybe that'll do it

Make sure your brake light switch isn't activated without you knowing it. Just look at the tail and see if the light is on. CHeck these posts..

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-problems.html

Last edited by upstate tim; 04-19-2011 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:46 PM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Tim. My brake light switch is activated. (Really easy to check this time of night.) I had to take the brake lever assy off to install the control for the audio system. I must of screwed something up when I put it back on. At least now I have a starting point.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't offer much in the way of suggestions but you should say if your bike is TBW or cable throttle. The cruise control is very different.

On my '05 RK the cruise quit working on a trip. I pulled the plug(s) my the steering neck and then plugged them back in and like magic it worked and I never had a problem again. My guess is that the contacts on the plugs had a little corrosion and just the act of unplugging and plugging them back in improved the contact.

Its a shot in the dark but easy to try if you have a pre-TBW bike.

Last edited by Potato_Potato; 04-19-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kredin
Thanks Tim. My brake light switch is activated. (Really easy to check this time of night.) I had to take the brake lever assy off to install the control for the audio system. I must of screwed something up when I put it back on. At least now I have a starting point.
Check Your front brake switch, it will break easily if the lever is'nt installed properly.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:21 PM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member

I've been out in the garage trying to figure this one out. The brake lever is extremely sensitive and the brake light will go on with the slightest movement of the lever or bike. There is also a clicking (possibly the relay?) when it lights up. Is there an adjustment for the brake lever so it won't be so sensitive?

Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 PM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dionicio
Check Your front brake switch, it will break easily if the lever is'nt installed properly.
I didn't have the brake lever disassembled. I just needed to take the housing completely off to get the audio control switch installed.

Here's a pic (not of my bike) with the audio controls installed. It just needed a couple of longer screws installed replacing the shorter ones.

Attached Thumbnails Cruise Control help needed.-boom-audio-cruiser-amp-and.jpg  
Old 04-19-2011, 08:49 PM
kredin
Outstanding HDF Member

Ahhhhhh.... now I know what Dionico was referring to.

I took the housing back off and looked underneath. I see the little rubber nipple that is controlling the switch for the tail light. It looks intact but I have nothing to compare it to. Seems to me that it needs to be a tad longer to keep the light from coming on until the lever is squeezed.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Speedracer7c
Cruiser

Unless you hold the brake lever a little when you put it back together you will break the end of the switch off. Ask me how I know! I put a nickle between the lever and the housing when i was putting it back together and it was enough to not break off the new switch nipple.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control help needed.