Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"The hell do you mean it's SUPPOSED to do that?"

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:43 PM
monkey sammich
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, my indy took it today. He's busy, so he'll get to it when he can, but he quoted me the price of the belt and recommended new pulleys, but says he'll do it without pulleys if I want. He said that since the pulleys have 34k miles on them, they're worn some and can shorten the life of the new belt. Anybod know anything about that?

Old 04-19-2011, 04:20 PM
DXTBIKER
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I might just replace the belt. I would think the pullys are fine. JMO

Old 04-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by monkey sammich
He said that since the pulleys have 34k miles on them, they're worn some and can shorten the life of the new belt. Anybod know anything about that?
Either trust what they guy says, or inspect them for yourself. Florida sand is tough on pulleys. Look for squared edges. They WILL cut a belt. Billet pulleys will wear faster than OEM.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:51 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the same thing happen to me. I was just two miles from home when I lost forward motion. Revved great I look in my mirror and there is some black snake looking thing there in the middle of the road and I realize I'm done. Did the replacement myself had to drop the rear tire and take off the entire primary chain case so that I could replace it. Check the pulley's for wear. If there is squaring going on and you can see an edge on it where the belt travels then you should have them replaced. I replaced my drive pulley when I had to replace my final drive gear. The tension for the drive belt is very important. If it is to tight it will wear faster and if it is to loose you can damage it from slapping against other parts of the bike.

Really sorry to hear about your friends Hydrolock

Old 04-19-2011, 05:53 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
Sudden lost speed. We were pulling out into the traveling lane in front of traffic. I was wot and he was to my left in front of me. I still have the belt i saw bounce out from the rear of his bike seconds before a semi went over everything. Accident was blamed on motorcycle operator but i witnessed what i believe was the reason and look at the belt often.
I know it doesn't sound like it, but I really am sorry for your loss. From what you've written here just doesn't seem like the belt was the sole cause, some questionable judgment (drag racing to get ahead of a moving semi) may also have contributed.

Zach

Old 04-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

You don't need to remove the swing arm to replace the belt. I know the manual says you do, but you don't. You can tap the pivot bolt toward the right side of the bike until it creates a little space. Then if you unbolt both shocks from the lower mount, you can slide the belt into place perpendicular to the bike without bending it. Once you have it past the trans pulley you are home free. I've done it and it works pretty slick.

Zach

Old 04-19-2011, 06:00 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Unimaginable. Horrible loss. Score one for drive shafts, I guess.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:41 PM
tmvick
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess what happened to me today....yes....broken belt.

I have a 09 Street Glide with 15000 miles. I was at the gas station, filled up, started in neutral, pulled the clutch, put it in first and KLUNK...it snapped loudly right at the pump.

HOG membership paid for tow and the dealer says it will be about $300-$350 (including overnight shipping for the belt). Belt alone is about $215 and would have taken a week to get in.

BTW....That is a horrible loss and sorry to hear it about anyone getting hurt from a failing part.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:04 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
You don't need to remove the swing arm to replace the belt. I know the manual says you do, but you don't. You can tap the pivot bolt toward the right side of the bike until it creates a little space. Then if you unbolt both shocks from the lower mount, you can slide the belt into place perpendicular to the bike without bending it. Once you have it past the trans pulley you are home free. I've done it and it works pretty slick.

Zach
When I did mine I pulled the swing arm. I had never had it off and figured it was time for a little inspection and a good cleaning. Only took a few extra minutes to take it off.

Attached Thumbnails "The hell do you mean it's SUPPOSED to do that?"-picture-001.jpg   "The hell do you mean it's SUPPOSED to do that?"-picture-007.jpg  

Last edited by BLKBAGGER; 04-19-2011 at 09:07 PM.