Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using a Harley Headset while riding a non-Harley

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:28 AM
sageone
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using a Harley Headset while riding a non-Harley

I searched, and didn't find any info. I want to use my helmet with the Harley headset installed to listen to my ipod while riding my KLR650. Is this possible? I would need an adapter that plugs into the headset with a 3.5mm plug on the other end. I have found adapters that can be plugged into the audio system on the Harley, but not into the headset. Does the Harley headset require a power source, and therefore can not be used in this manner?

Thx

Old 04-17-2011, 10:49 AM
09 UltraFine
Cruiser

Check with J&M, they make all kinds of cords. Good luck.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:55 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

If you just want to listen you will not need a power source other than the MP3 player. I know J&M makes a cable that goes from thier headset to the Harley headset. They may be a good place to start to look for the adapter you are looking for. If not ask the Harley parts people. They probably deal with that a lot for people who want to do the same thing on a bike like a Road King that does not have a stereo.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:26 AM
sageone
Advanced

I looked on J&M's site and only found the cords for their headsets.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:34 PM
airchuk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-17-2011, 09:07 PM
sageone
Advanced

Yep, saw those. They are made to plug into the audio system on the bike, not the headset. Thanks though.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:24 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

It's not clear to me that an iPod has enough power to supply the headset (I'd be glad to find out that I'm wrong on this one). What I wound up doing in this situation was to buy this device

http://jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=29

and then use the adapter cable to convert its audio output to the 7-pin cable to my headset. The obvious problem with it is that it's bulky and you either have to recharge batteries (or buy new ones) or hook it up to the motorcycle's power.

Good luck and please post a solution if you find a good one.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:31 AM
sageone
Advanced

Originally Posted by cookiemech
It's not clear to me that an iPod has enough power to supply the headset (I'd be glad to find out that I'm wrong on this one). What I wound up doing in this situation was to buy this device

http://jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=29

and then use the adapter cable to convert its audio output to the 7-pin cable to my headset. The obvious problem with it is that it's bulky and you either have to recharge batteries (or buy new ones) or hook it up to the motorcycle's power.

Good luck and please post a solution if you find a good one.
I think that the headset requires a source of power to make it work also, hence my difficulty in finding a cord.

Were you able to make the J&M Integrator work successfully with a Harley headset?

Old 04-18-2011, 06:23 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

No..the headset does not require a power source.. they are just speakers.. 8 ohm.. you can fabricate a cord easily. a length of 7 or 8 conductor cable.. an inline 7 pin female DIN plug.. and a 3.5 mm stereo plug.. Since you wont be using the mic element 3 or 4 conductor cable should even work..

Old 04-18-2011, 02:34 PM
sageone
Advanced

Originally Posted by kyote
No..the headset does not require a power source.. they are just speakers.. 8 ohm.. you can fabricate a cord easily. a length of 7 or 8 conductor cable.. an inline 7 pin female DIN plug.. and a 3.5 mm stereo plug.. Since you wont be using the mic element 3 or 4 conductor cable should even work..
You wouldn't have a pin-out by chance?

Quick Reply: Using a Harley Headset while riding a non-Harley