Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mounted Stebel Compressor/Horn Pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:17 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Mounted Stebel Compressor/Horn Pics

This afternoon I got around to installing the Stebel Air Horn. I cut the compressor off of the horn itself, got the wiring and relay rigged and air line (fuel line tubing) ready to go.

Figuring out where to put the compressor was a challenge. I ended-up cutting-out a half moon chunk in the left block/panel that houses the fuse block. I ran the hose through it, fed the wires for the compressor under, and it fit (tight) on the LEFT side under the side cover. Love having this LOUD air horn and a relatively stock look (I put the horn under an Air Wing cover).

Just thought I'd share in case anyone wants to do this mod and have the compressor on the LEFT (the wiring run is a lot simpler with the compressor on the left IMHO).

Attached Thumbnails Mounted Stebel Compressor/Horn Pics-dremeled-hole.jpg   Mounted Stebel Compressor/Horn Pics-compressor-mounted.jpg   Mounted Stebel Compressor/Horn Pics-covered.jpg  
Old 04-17-2011, 01:52 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i'm really glad to get this information. i've been trying to figure out how to mount a nautilus bad boy horn to my 250cc honda big ruckus. this will help me a lot. thank you.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:36 AM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you got any pics or directions on how you cut this apart? That looks very clean. I had one on my VTX but I had to make a mout for the whole thing and thats why I have not put one on RG yet.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:26 AM
sgnden
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jukebox
you got any pics or directions on how you cut this apart? That looks very clean. I had one on my VTX but I had to make a mout for the whole thing and thats why I have not put one on RG yet.
Hey Jukebox:

The compressor is attached by the plastic "wings" that go around it (glued and formed). Just use a Dremel tool and simply slice down along the plastic wing holding the compressor. Go slow so you don't cut into the aluminum compressor housing.

Then just pry-off the plastic and push the compressor UP (it has a small tag at the top that tries to hold it in there even after you have cut the plastic away. The compressor will pop right out.

Then all you need to do is trim the remnants of the plastic that was holding the compressor and grind it smooth with a Dremel grinding bit. You now have the horn (all trimmed-up) and compressor separate.

Now you can mount the compressor anywhere you'd like. Use a 5/16 Fuel Line and run it to the horn. In the HORN body, you'll use a 5/16 stepped hose connector (or similar)...I just threaded a straight one into the horn, but IF you can find 90 degree angled one, all the better!

Then just wire it up. I used a "plug-n-play" setup (sold most places they sell the Stebel).

NOTE: There is a LOT more room on the right side behind the cover, but I did mine on the left because the siring harness/relay setup reached much better from the left (same side as the original horn wiring from the switch).

Hope that all helps!

There are some very good links out there for various guy's approaches to this. It was fun and not hard at all.

Good luck!

Old 04-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was going to do something like this but never got around to it. I'll add a couple of thoughts to the thread that someone might find helpful. While the basic info is here in the forums, you will probably still have to use some creativity for your own model of bike when it comes to mounting the compressor.

Note that the Strebel and Wolo Bad boy are the same.

I read a lot about "carefully slide the compressor out of the bracket", but don't worry about being gentle separating the two pieces. You have to cut/break it apart anyway to get down to the "horn" part that fits into the cowbell. Contrary to what I read, there is no "seam" where the two sections will come apart on their own. I spent way too long trying to figure out where the compressor section separated from the horn. Just get the compressor out, then carefully score and break the extra plastic off, leaving the only the horn air chamber.

The only place I could find on my RG with room to hide the compressor was inside the fairing. (At least it's easy to find power there.) I used several zipties because when you honk the horn the compressor wants to jump around. I got some clear tubing to connect the two pieces and some black wire loom to make it less noticeable. I found the hose fittings at autozone, and I used JB Weld as a sealant. I ran a tap into the outlet hole in the compressor that made the fitting fit a little better, but since I used JB weld I probably could have just enlarged the hole a little with a drill and glued it in.

Like everyone else says, use a relay. I've read where the one that comes with the horn isn't particularly heavy duty, so I replaced it with a bigger one of the same type I happened to have lying around. And picking up some 16 ga wire and female spade wire terminals at radio shack is a good idea when connecting up the relay. The wiring you need for the relay is not included in the horn kit.

A good project though. Have fun.

Last edited by Sharknose; 04-17-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:15 AM
sgnden
Road Master

Yeah - Sharknose makes a good point. The compressor will feel like it's still attached once you cut the plastic away. Don't be afraid to give it some elbow grease. It DOES have a bit of adhesive but more importantly, it's got a protruding bit that goes into the plastic so just pry it away and pop the compressor UP and out.

Just do a google search and you'll come across several really well done write-ups...complete with photos in most cases.

I had to get creative running the wiring harness and bolting on the relay so they were invisible and in the best location.

Have fun...

Last edited by sgnden; 04-17-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:18 PM
INZANE
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write up and advice... my next project.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sgnden
Hey Jukebox:

The compressor is attached by the plastic "wings" that go around it (glued and formed). Just use a Dremel tool and simply slice down along the plastic wing holding the compressor. Go slow so you don't cut into the aluminum compressor housing.

Then just pry-off the plastic and push the compressor UP (it has a small tag at the top that tries to hold it in there even after you have cut the plastic away. The compressor will pop right out.

Then all you need to do is trim the remnants of the plastic that was holding the compressor and grind it smooth with a Dremel grinding bit. You now have the horn (all trimmed-up) and compressor separate.

Now you can mount the compressor anywhere you'd like. Use a 5/16 Fuel Line and run it to the horn. In the HORN body, you'll use a 5/16 stepped hose connector (or similar)...I just threaded a straight one into the horn, but IF you can find 90 degree angled one, all the better!

Then just wire it up. I used a "plug-n-play" setup (sold most places they sell the Stebel).

NOTE: There is a LOT more room on the right side behind the cover, but I did mine on the left because the siring harness/relay setup reached much better from the left (same side as the original horn wiring from the switch).

Hope that all helps!

There are some very good links out there for various guy's approaches to this. It was fun and not hard at all.

Good luck!
Thanks to you and Sharknose both for the detailed info,it will be very helpful when I undertake this project.