Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it me or people like harleys that dont sound like harleys?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 AM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default is it me or people like harleys that dont sound like harleys?

just thinking... right now people buy big mufflers, the deepest the best. I have heard most of those 4" mufflers and sound nice but they sound like a muscle car and not like the heritage harley sound.

old harleys have a nice sound, not too loud, not too deep, just the harley sound. I know new efi bikes will never sound like the old ones, diferent iddle, diferent cams but for one thing we can keep the same wich is THE TONE we decide to change it...

am I the only one who likes harleys that sound like harleys? do I need a doctor or something?

Old 04-15-2011, 10:14 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I never really spent much time thinking about it. They'll sound like they'll sound. I yanked the stock head pipe and installed Power Duals, along with Monster Ovals, for a number of reasons. Obtaining a certain sound really wasn't one of them.

To me it would be pretty boring if they all sounded or looked the same...

Old 04-15-2011, 10:18 AM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pargenz
Personally, I never really spent much time thinking about it. They'll sound like they'll sound. I yanked the stock head pipe and installed Power Duals, along with Monster Ovals, for a number of reasons. Obtaining a certain sound really wasn't one of them.

To me it would be pretty boring if they all sounded or looked the same...
Sorry but a Gold Wing is boring. They are all boring............

Old 04-15-2011, 10:18 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

they sound like a single crank pin twin to me.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:29 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Everybody hears sound differently. I like my V&H Ovals due to the fact that to me they sound deep (bass like). Your pipes are like everything else...customized to the rider of the bike.

If I wanted a bike that sounded like vintage Harley, I'd ride a vintage Harley. Just my .02.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:33 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Personally I think you are right, I don't have anything against anyone who choses to make their bike sound like a race car on a drag line.

I do have a problem with the guy up in Virginia city who started his bike up right as my 3 month old daughter was being pushed behind him, and who screamed for an hour after he reved his engine for three minutes. He was riding with a bunch of drunkards from an MC I wont name because I don't want to get shot. None the less he was a real A@$ Hole! I have never heard a louder bike.

(moral of the story.... Dont be an A@#.... Look behind you before you Rev!)

Its important to be heard but its also important to be able to enjoy riding your bike.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 04-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not want to criticize anyone's decision or taste. If I did it, I apologize. I just want to understand that new trend so thank you for all the coments.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Weekender2010
Intermediate

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
Personally I think you are right, I don't have anything against anyone who choses to make their bike sound like a race car on a drag line.

I do have a problem with the guy up in Virginia city who started his bike up right as my 3 month old daughter was being pushed behind him, and who screamed for an hour after he reved his engine for three minutes. He was riding with a bunch of drunkards from an MC I wont name because I don't want to get shot. None the less he was a real A@$ Hole! I have never heard a louder bike.

(moral of the story.... Dont be an A@#.... Look behind you before you Rev!)

Its important to be heard but its also important to be able to enjoy riding your bike.
Know what you mean. I live in a HOA and sometimes leave at 05:30am. So that means taking it easy.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:04 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solitario
just thinking... right now people buy big mufflers, the deepest the best. I have heard most of those 4" mufflers and sound nice but they sound like a muscle car and not like the heritage harley sound.

old harleys have a nice sound, not too loud, not too deep, just the harley sound. I know new efi bikes will never sound like the old ones, diferent iddle, diferent cams but for one thing we can keep the same wich is THE TONE we decide to change it...

am I the only one who likes harleys that sound like harleys? do I need a doctor or something?
My fatboy with a carb and V&H straight-shots has the "Harley sound". My EFI Street Glide with V&H Monster Ovals sounds like a "Muscle car". That's the way I like it.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:05 AM
trailey97
Tourer

my neighbors most of which are elderly and they all have commented on how loud my bike is but never once have i gotten a complaint on it... hate living in a neighborhood havin to remember to be quiet... ill bo honest i dont care for how the new efi harleys dont seem to have a very defined lope.... buuut times have changed

Quick Reply: is it me or people like harleys that dont sound like harleys?