Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it me or people like harleys that dont sound like harleys?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:42 PM
Tek74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Probably a mixed bag of HD owners who enjoy the bike/experience for what it is & others who "like it loud." I'm more on middle ground & want to hear my stereo while cruising, but like ability to cackle, if necessary...

Old 04-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Solitario
just thinking... right now people buy big mufflers, the deepest the best. I have heard most of those 4" mufflers and sound nice but they sound like a muscle car and not like the heritage harley sound.

old harleys have a nice sound, not too loud, not too deep, just the harley sound. I know new efi bikes will never sound like the old ones, diferent iddle, diferent cams but for one thing we can keep the same wich is THE TONE we decide to change it...

am I the only one who likes harleys that sound like harleys? do I need a doctor or something?

Old harleys. Do you remember what the silent gray fellow sounded like?. Ya I don't either.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:13 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Solitario
just thinking... right now people buy big mufflers, the deepest the best. I have heard most of those 4" mufflers and sound nice but they sound like a muscle car and not like the heritage harley sound.

old harleys have a nice sound, not too loud, not too deep, just the harley sound. I know new efi bikes will never sound like the old ones, diferent iddle, diferent cams but for one thing we can keep the same wich is THE TONE we decide to change it...

am I the only one who likes harleys that sound like harleys? do I need a doctor or something?
Yep, you are right about the sound. Nope, you don't need a doctor.

The sound has changed as Harley riders have changed. Sure the new efi bikes don't idle the same but with unbaffled pipes at speed they sound the same as the old ones. Still a 45* firing on alternate strokes.

Today's riders spend big money on mufflers to get the sound or performance they like. Most don't like unbaffled pipes. The oldtimers were more dependent on themselves for repairs and upgrades.

Times change. People change. This is no longer a lifestyle. Well, maybe for about 1%.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:28 PM
jazzy jack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Living in the country I don't notice it, untill I get to a town and heads start turning.