Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is it me or people like harleys that dont sound like harleys?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:33 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

It is not how loud the pipes are you put on your bike, to me it is how the bike runs after
you change the pipes. I road 1000 miles befor I changed my mufflers, and the bike could
not pull 6th gear below 70 MPH. With stage 1 and some dyno work I can run 55 or 60 MPH
at cruising speeds solo, and the I don't have real loud mufflers, the bike just rus better.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:36 AM
inthechateau
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I modified a set of stock mufflers and makes it sound like aJohn Deere tractor at idle.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:44 AM
d2jlking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine doesn't sound like a "classic Harley" at all!!! But it sounds mean and loud....I love how the old ones sound, but mine is nastier

Old 04-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Probably a mixed bag of HD owners who enjoy the bike/experience for what it is & others who "like it loud." I'm more on middle ground & want to hear my stereo while cruising, but like ability to cackle, if necessary...

Old 04-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Sound never mattered me. I have stock pipes on my bike. I have a new pair of Wild Pig slip-ons that I got in a barter deal a few months ago. They're still in the box. Don't know if I'll ever install them.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Actually what they come out of the factory like is how they actually sound. You can take the muffler off your lawn mower and some people will think that sounds great, others will hate you. It's all the technology of harmonics in aftermarket pipes that is the appeal. Straight pipes are simply repulsive to me.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:46 PM
Beanerflhx
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rode a Metric for years and didn't hear anything but the wind. Now with my SG I hear them just fine. That is the the great thing about it, if you don't like it you can change it. If you don't like how someone elses sound you don't have to ride with them. Free Country

Old 04-15-2011, 12:49 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

go for a long ride
Originally Posted by Solitario
just thinking... right now people buy big mufflers, the deepest the best. I have heard most of those 4" mufflers and sound nice but they sound like a muscle car and not like the heritage harley sound.

old harleys have a nice sound, not too loud, not too deep, just the harley sound. I know new efi bikes will never sound like the old ones, diferent iddle, diferent cams but for one thing we can keep the same wich is THE TONE we decide to change it...

am I the only one who likes harleys that sound like harleys? do I need a doctor or something?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:51 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I'm pretty sure that if it's made by Harley and makes noise, by definition it sounds like a Harley.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:51 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Is what it is; motor design has changed, EPA requirements have changed, the new ones are mechanically different so they sound different. This concept transcends just Harleys, look at any make/model of car/truck/lawn mower/airplane that has changed over the years, the new ones sound different from the older ones. I would have to agree that if your goal is to generate a sound synonomous with an older bike, then ride an older bike. Then you can also enjoy all the other little character flaws associated with Harley's heritage.

Quick Reply: is it me or people like harleys that dont sound like harleys?