Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 05:23 AM
bub 270
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering kits

I have seen lowering kits on ebay and other sites that reposition the rear shock . was wondering if these would be good for an ultra or when riding two up. should I change shocks instead just would like to bring bike down an inch or so.Thanks

Old 04-15-2011, 08:29 AM
bellgnte
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the extra money, then get new shocks. I went with the $35 lowering blocks and I love them. Lot's of people on here have used the 1" lowering blocks with no problem. I didn't notice any ride difference. Some folks on here even use the 2" but then they claim it changes the ride a bit. There are those on here that will not believe a $35 part can help. Those folks are convinced you must change shocks In their defense, there probably are some better shocks if you have the coin. The SG has 1" lower factory shocks and usually can be found used at a reasonable price. I have heard that is because they have a stiffer ride.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:07 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the lowering kit i bought is from road6customs they very well made and they work great. i have them on mine and i only lowered it an inch anymore and theres goes your ride.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:41 AM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Personally I'd go w/ shorter shocks.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:44 AM
TW
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I use Street Glide shocks AND a 1" block it (Burly brand) on all my Road Kings.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Stone1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 09 Ultra and the wife has a 09 Street Glide, the Street Glide was noticeable harsher to ride. We finally settled on a 1 inch lower kit for the front and put the 2010 SE Street Glide adjustable shock on the rear. We now get a decent ride even 2 up and I think the only thing that may make it better would be to go with some higher end shocks.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:09 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by bub 270
I have seen lowering kits on ebay and other sites that reposition the rear shock . was wondering if these would be good for an ultra or when riding two up. should I change shocks instead just would like to bring bike down an inch or so.Thanks
if you have the stock 13 inch shocks, you could go with the lower 12 inch shocks (street glide, road glide custom, etc) and that would give you some more ground reach without having to go with lowering blocks.

if you already have the shorter shocks, your options are a little more limited. i have a rg custom, has the 12 inch shocks. just sent off a pair of shocks to bitchin baggers and had them reworked to 11 inch. with the limited test ride i did earlier, i notice no difference in the ride (which is good considering they are 1 inch shorter) but i have a long ride tomorrow which i will be able to get a good feel for them.

i've never used lowering blocks, so i can't really comment on them. it seems to run about 50/50 for/against from what i've read. i really don't want to chance my tire hitting the rear wiring and burning it out.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:19 AM
takamine4
Novice

I am using the lowering kit, BUT since the shocks get another angle, they will not last as long. Have broken two already. New cost about 200, and that is the reason I went for the lowering kit.

PS: I have it on the low position 11"

Old 04-16-2011, 04:42 AM
bub 270
Novice

thanks for the replys everyone ,do you think they will handle the wieght of two & tour pack when ridng . I dont use tour pac much only on trips that go on for few days .

Old 04-16-2011, 05:20 AM
Phat09flhx
Road Captain

+++++on the shocks

Quick Reply: lowering kits