Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lowering kits

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:39 AM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

If it were me, I'd go for aftermarket shocks. The stock Harley shocks aren't the best around by any means and getting a shorter Harley shock or using lowering blocks will do nothing to improve the ride one bit. Shorter aftermarket shocks is the better route especially if you go with something like the Ohlins.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:08 AM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roadking2000
If it were me, I'd go for aftermarket shocks. The stock Harley shocks aren't the best around by any means and getting a shorter Harley shock or using lowering blocks will do nothing to improve the ride one bit. Shorter aftermarket shocks is the better route especially if you go with something like the Ohlins.

+1
Going from a 13” shock to a 12” shock you will see a big difference in ride. If you are riding two up most of the time after market shocks are the way to go. For less money I would keep your 13” shocks and use a good lowering block. I have LA Choppers lowering kit, it lowers the rear by an inch and does not change the angle of the shock and does not change the ride.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:38 AM
harvley
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you use the lowering blocks you need to keep an eye on the back of the swingarm for cracks. The blocks put more pressure on the backend mounting point.

Old 04-16-2011, 11:11 AM
tramp306
3rd Gear

When I first purchased my dresser it had a lowering kit on it. The block style. Word of caution here. I hated it, it threw the center of balance WAY off and was magnified when you got a passenger on the back. I ended up tearing it it off, it was way to dangerous.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought my first bagger in the fall of 08, It was an 09 EGC. Coming off a Dyna, it felt big and bulky to say the least. I bought a set of lowering blocks from road6customs on Ebay. I used the second hole 2" lower. I put 40 PSI in the shocks riding two up. I couldn't tell any difference in the ride except I could get my feet down better. I sold the 09 and bought an 08 UC because it had more goodies and ABS brakes. I used the blocks on it with no ill effect. I now run them on my RK in the same position. The blocks only change the shock angle 4 or 5 degrees at the most. I don't understand post that say this will crack your swingarm, or this changes the center of gravity??? To the OP, I would keep my stock shocks and try the lowering blocks. I did change the oil in mine to a 10 wt oil. That made a big difference in shock performance. I also changed my fork oil to SE Heavy. Made the ride much better. JMO

Old 04-16-2011, 12:16 PM
DXTBIKER
Cruiser

I went with the lower HD shocks, and also lowered the front springs 1". It was kinda pricey, but it rides nice, even two up.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

You can get your stock shocks lowered to whatever height you want at http://bitchinbaggers.com/products/drop-shocks/ This company custom tunes the shocks to your weights and loads you plan to carry. They do outstanding work and the shocks look exactly as stock, just shorter. Also, check the bottom of the link's page for dangers associated with shock lowering blocks.

I had mine lowered 2 inches and they ride fine. They will bottom easier, of course, at that low but I can't tell a difference in ride from the Street Glide shocks I used to have on it. I modified the original shocks and hung onto the Street Glide shocks in case I want to switch back someday.

Last edited by Guntoter; 04-16-2011 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,113 Likes on 3,655 Posts

Buddy of mine also a member here DJAudette put lowering blocks on his 08 Ultra and rides good...He may have put shorter shocks on too...He's a short ****....I have driven his bike and rides very nice.

Old 04-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Anezangl
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the same blocks and pressure as RONP42. Only negative is when two up ( she only tips the scale at 105 lbs ) the pipes will drag every now and again on these far from perfect roads we have in Florida. I'll probably put a better shock with on board compressor in the near future but right now it doesn't bother me much! or maybe some titanium blocks under the pipes and throw some sparks!!! LOL!!!

Old 04-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

[quote=Anezangl;8198799]I run the same blocks and pressure as RONP42. Only negative is when two up ( she only tips the scale at 105 lbs ) the pipes will drag every now and again on these far from perfect roads we have in Florida. I'll probably put a better shock with on board compressor in the near future but right now it doesn't bother me much! or maybe some titanium blocks under the pipes and throw some sparks!!! LOL!!![/quote

I know some don't like the lowering blocks, but it let's you keep the longer shocks that give you more travel and it only changes the angle of the shock slightly. Now that I'm riding solo and changed to heavier oil in my shocks, I run 0 air pressure. The big advantage is it's a cheap way to lower your bike. I have no problems with the stock Showa shocks. JMO

Quick Reply: lowering kits