Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel interchange question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 11:01 PM
bobscogin
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel interchange question

I've got a 2000 Road King Classic and am considering fitting cast wheels so that I would at least have the potential to repair a flat on a long trip. I like the looks of the "solid" Fat Boy wheels over the cast spoke Road King wheels, but I'm aware that the Softail wheels and Touring bike wheels don't interchange. I know that there are axle diameter changes over the years, but what are the other differences such as hub width, sprocket and rotor offset. Anyone know of Softail wheels being adapted to a Road King or other touring model? Thanks,

Bob

Old 07-02-2005, 02:22 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Wheel interchange question

i changed from cast to laced wheels on my eglide. there was a difference in hub with. not a big problem just made new spacers. on the rear wheels just about any 16" wheel from a bike with shocks will fit on the glide, such as a sportster, low rider, super glide. the front is a different story you need a wheel that is 16" with dual rotors. not sure if the fatboy falls in that category. dont know if i helped but good luck!

Old 07-02-2005, 12:57 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to change your wheels, then now is the time to look into possibly going for a nice billet wheel and really dress up your glide. The fatboy wheels seem to only look good on Fatboy's. Whenever you change wheels, you need to make sure that the width of the rotors is exactly the same so your calipers will stay true. Having the wrong size wheel will not be a good thing when it comes to the brakes. Spaces will make the wheel fit, but if the hub is not the correct width, then your rotors will not line up true to the calipers.

Good luck and hope you find a wheel that you like. Check Ebay and JP cycles to see the styles you might want. Shop like hell to find the price you want.

Ride On,

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/D1DDD549BC904CB5BF3206E8697D9297.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-02-2005, 01:28 PM
bobscogin
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all for the replies. One of the reasons I wanted to try to fit Fat Boy Wheels (besides liking the look) was that they're a dime a dozen on ebay and at swap meets. I have a lathe and milling machine, and a half assed talent for machine work, so I'm not afraid of making spacers or doing machine work where neccessary to get thing lined up. I was hoping to find out of anyone had determined the dimensional differences. No need to reinvent the wheel, if ya' know what I mean.

Bob