Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet Performance - not Supertrapp Stouts

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Lonerider31
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quiet Performance - not Supertrapp Stouts

I know quiet is a relative term and I am on the conservative end of the scale. I've been riding Harleys since '79 and usually run stock pipes as I find anything else wears on me on 250 - 500 miles days and I do a lot of those. I was very excited about the Supertrapp Stouts. Claimed performance increase with little noise increase. When I added them to my 11 FLHTK with Fuel Moto Head Ceramic Head pipes boy was I dissappointed. My riding buddies thought it was hysterical that I had one of the loudest bikes in the group after talking these up. Well, 50 miles later the stock exhaust is back on. Supertrapp did not seem surprised as they said they are only quiet if you still have the cats on. Seem the cats are doing the bulk of the work.

The search continues for a quiet performance pipe. Open to others experience. The sound right now is actually great - deep and not all that quiet but would like a pipe to add to the Head pipe, Ventilator A/C before I get a dyno tune.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:13 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am with you on the quite thing. I have Vance Hines Monster Ovals with True Dual Header and by end of the ride I have had enough of the loudness. I wear earplugs but still, the noise bothers me. I am about ready to re-install the factory mufflers. If you find a performance muffler that won't bust your ear drums, let me known.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:38 AM
broziff
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you givin any thought to selling those st stouts?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Allen Dye
Cruiser

Have you looked at the Supertrapp Fatshots. I just installed a set on my Limited with the Fuelmoto Ceramic header and they sound great. Just a low pitched rumble that is only a little louder than stock and I'm running ten disks. By removing disks I could probably take it below stock in noise level. We rode 200 miles last week and the only time that it really sounded much louder was when I was on the throttle hard and then only a little louder than stock. We tend to ride ten to fourteen hour days and I didn't want something splitting my ears either.

Last edited by Allen Dye; 04-15-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:04 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

They don't make it anymore but the Fuel Moto 2:1 is what I used with an OEM muffler, I cant quantify the noise level yet but it is pretty quiet at low load cruise, barks a little when you get on it.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:24 AM
tcfamy
Cruiser

Take a look at the S&S SPO slip ons. They have the new stye and the old style 88db. I have the old syle SPO's and thier new Power Duals header and it's not quite stock sound but as close as I could find. Also with my mods (98", heads and cams--98ft-lb / 94HP) it was the best performing. I believe they have sound tracks on thier site also.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 AM
Solitario
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had kerker muflers with 2-1-2 no cat headpipe, they were quiet imo, then I changed 2-1-2 for true duals and kerker mufflers, they were too LOUD

Now I have true duals with supertrapp SE series, better performance thank kerker and much more quiet with my true duals so I bet supertraps se series are made for you.

you have 2 options, supertrapp se for bikes with or without cat, buy the old ones, the real supertrapp se made for no cat bikes and yu wont regret.

best performance in the market with just a little rumble.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:25 AM
Lonerider31
Advanced

Thanks for all the suggestions. The search continues. Bonezip - I have already sold the Stouts.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:50 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Question on the Fatshotz.....Has anyone pulled all the baffling and packing out and ceramic coated them? I'm currently getting ready to play the slip-on game, and everyone seems to love the Fatshots for low noise and decent power.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:06 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have V&H monster rounds and do not find them to be a bother to my ears, and I do not go for that much loud sound- ears do not have issues with the current set up.

Just my -02 cents.

Quick Reply: Quiet Performance - not Supertrapp Stouts