Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running a black license plate

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:41 PM
roadking07
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone running a black license plate

Is anyone from California running a license plate like the old 60's plates that has a black background with yellow letters? I saw one on a current RKC at laughlin a couple of years ago. I don't even know if it is legal to run a black plate on a current bike - but it just looks so good on a black bike compared to the white plate. Any info would be appreciated. I found a website that makes license plates and I think they could make one - it wouldn't be legal obviously - but it it looks close enough I think I would run it on my bike and keep my original in my saddlebag in case I got pulled over. Here is the link to the site. I called them and the only problem is they won't ship california plates out to california - so I would have to send it to someone out of state and have them ship it to me.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:08 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Anyone running a black license plate

I love the black plates. But I won't risk it with where I ride. It wouldn't fly. Good luck to you. I'm in CA too so I can't help wit dat.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:29 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

If you can find an original old plate, take it to the DMV and they will register it under your name. I have friends with 60's model corvettes and have done this. The DMV issues a windshield sticker to prove their vehcile is current and they get to use the old plate on the vehicle. This is pretty cool.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:18 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CA, black and yellow plates CAN be legally used as replacement plates with a valid license number and current registration issued by the DMV - since CA no longer has blanks for those three styles! So you can legally replace an old dented DMV issued blue, black or yellow plates with a brand new www.CR8-APL8.com !

Old 10-20-2006, 10:32 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not in Cali but I am running a black plate here in DE. In 1942 Delaware issued black and white porcelain plates. There is a company that makes exact replicas (yes porcelain) of these plates that are legal. You have to have below a certain plate number in order to get one. I have one on my Glide and my truck.

Oh and in Delaware we take our license plates very seriously. The lower the number the more it is worth. Two digit plates can net over $100k easily.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:32 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel for you guys in the Peoples Republic of California it won't be long before you can't fart without a permit!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-20-2006, 11:36 PM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Thundercloud

I feel for you guys in the Peoples Republic of California it won't be long before you can't fart without a permit!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey - Freeze!

Lets see your permit for typing "Peoples Republic of California"!

Old 10-20-2006, 11:51 PM
SoCalRoadGlide
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Thundercloud

LOL, ain't it the truth. At least down here in SoCal we can ride comfortably all year.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, at least you have that going for ya. Of course I think I would have to move Texas where I could ride all year, carry a gun, and fart any damn place I wanted without a permit. LMAO!!!!!