Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander V Blowing ECM Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 PM
sageone
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander V Blowing ECM Fuse?

Recently installed a stage I kit including a Power Commander V. Bike is a 2010 Ultra Limited with 1600 miles. After installing the PCV, rode the bike about 10 miles and she died on me. Pulled off the side of the road and it would crank, but wouldn't start. Had it towed to the nearest dealer. Dealer called and is telling me that with the PCV hooked up, the bike is blowing the ECM fuse. Unhook the PCV and the bike is fine. Does anyone have experience with this issue? Have heard of this issue? I did a search on the forum, but didn't find much info. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:34 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have first hand experience with this problem but I think I would contact whoever you bought the PCV from...

Old 04-14-2011, 06:54 PM
sageone
Advanced

Yep. I will contact them tomorrow. I wasn't aware that the PCV would cause a fuse to blow. Seems odd to me but I guess anything is possible.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain

there are defects in just about anything, the good thing is you caught it or should I say it caught you right off the mark! Get it sorted straight away....

Old 04-14-2011, 07:23 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well if I remember correctly the PC doesn't send any current(there was another thread recently about PC and Jamie from Fuelmoto posted that). So I would have a hard believing the issue is from there. Call your PC dealer and then ask the SM at the stealer if he really knows wtf he is talking about.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain

they don't "send current", they "draw it" if anything. If it is a defective unit, possibly a short. short to ground, etc..... This would definetly cause the ECM fuse to blow when it exceeded the parameters of the fuse itself - doing what it's designed to do - protect the rest of the bike.......

Old 04-14-2011, 08:01 PM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet you find that its a defective unit. Dont fret too much, I know it sucks cause you want to ride,

I have had mine about 8 months, 5500 miles, runs like a scalded dog.

Keep us informed of the offical ruling.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:12 PM
sageone
Advanced

I will keep everyone informed. I just didnt think it was possible for the PCV to blow fuses.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:44 AM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by sageone
Recently installed a stage I kit including a Power Commander V. Bike is a 2010 Ultra Limited with 1600 miles. After installing the PCV, rode the bike about 10 miles and she died on me. Pulled off the side of the road and it would crank, but wouldn't start. Had it towed to the nearest dealer. Dealer called and is telling me that with the PCV hooked up, the bike is blowing the ECM fuse. Unhook the PCV and the bike is fine. Does anyone have experience with this issue? Have heard of this issue? I did a search on the forum, but didn't find much info. Thanks.
I also have a 2010 FLHTK Scarlet red and vivid black with a PCV on it. Only problem I had was the 6th light and cruise quit working after 5 or 6 miles of steady highway riding. It would usually reset after shutting down and restart. I called FM and was told to turn off all functions I wasn't using in the Configure menu. I turned off Harley Data as this is the one they said would cause it. Only time you need it on is when you have computer hooked to it or the vision screen. I guess the PCV gathering all that extra information was causing information overload. It worked for me. Blowing fuse would make me very leary and I know I would be in touch with where ever the PCV was purchased. I almost bet it isn't the PCV that is causing it to blow if the PCV is functioning. You didn't say if you had Autotune. If you do check the routing of the O2 sensor wires. The installer left the front O2 wire laying on the sparkplug wire of friend I was helping get PCV working right. I can imagine what that would do to a ECM with a high voltage spike from Spark plug wire. It did have some goofy trim adjustment numbers on the front cylinder. Also check and make sure the wire isn't pinched somewhere as the O2's are heated and the ECM supplies the power.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:06 AM
sageone
Advanced

I don't have the Auto Tune feature. O2 sensors not used and have been completely removed.

Quick Reply: Power Commander V Blowing ECM Fuse?