Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Bag Lid Protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 AM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Hard Bag Lid Protection

Had Mustang Covers on for about a month now. Removed them today and noticed where they were rubbing the paint on the edges of the lids.
Anyone have any experience with Motorcycle-Armor? Kind of expensive, but the lifetime replacement looks good.
Looks easy enough to apply.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 AM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the Mustang ones and didn't notice any marks from them after 6 months. But to be safe, I went to a fabric store and bought a couple yards of sweatshirt material, 7 bucks. Put it under the lid covers and now their double protected and padded too. Also will use it under the bra, if I ever use it.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:59 AM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Back in the day I used one of those bras on my car, and I noticed the rubbing on the hood of my car. Haven't used anything like that since.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:01 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

There's a compnay out there that makes a clear plastic cover. something like window tint. I've seen it before & looks pretty good. Can't remember the name. I think it's something with Armour in the name

Old 04-14-2011, 11:08 AM
cotnballs
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would go with 3M clear bra material on them and call it a day. All the vinyl ones just trap moisture under them and you have to take them off all the time and dry them or they will haze the paint.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:30 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the Kuryakens and so far no issues as mentioned above

Old 04-14-2011, 05:38 PM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The clear vinyl like motorcycle armor or the 3M product are great, but don't fool yourself into thinking the installation is easy. Over flat surfaces or simple curves it's pretty straight forward, but complex curves are a bitch. I bought a roll of the 3m material a few years ago and have used it on all my bikes since, but I still haven't gotten the hang of installing it over a complex curve like the tank or fender.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:34 PM
FDHOG
Stellar HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by omgtkk
The clear vinyl like motorcycle armor or the 3M product are great, but don't fool yourself into thinking the installation is easy. Over flat surfaces or simple curves it's pretty straight forward, but complex curves are a bitch. I bought a roll of the 3m material a few years ago and have used it on all my bikes since, but I still haven't gotten the hang of installing it over a complex curve like the tank or fender.
I'm only doing the lids of my hard bags.
I watched a guy do the front end of my Vette and I'd never attempt it.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you bother unless you can't help youself from dragging your boot across the lid when getting on or off?? Just sayin'....

Old 04-14-2011, 06:48 PM
sfchief
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Installed the clear bra material on my tank over two years ago. Just two pieces where my legs rub the back of the tank. Still working fine. It does take some effort to install it around corners and curves, but on your application it should be a piece of cake.

Quick Reply: Hard Bag Lid Protection