Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody have the older style Gerbings jacket vs new?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011 | 07:50 AM
strtarrow
|
Banned
Default Anybody have the older style Gerbings jacket vs new?

Had a frigid ride home this AM at 5:00 and really wished I had the jacket and pants liner. Temps were mid 30's and although the hands and feet were warm my body core was chilled to say the least. Now looking (although late in the season) at getting the jacket liner/pants liner. Any advice regarding the older style? (these are older style wire jackets, but works as well as MICROWIRE style). Just wondering if I should go with this or the latest and greatest. Sorry for the screwed up text but I am whooped and need to crash...

Old 04-14-2011 | 08:36 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior

I'd try getting just the jacket liner in microwire first, got one last fall thinking that I'd get the pants later. Now that I've been using the jacket for awhile don't feel the need for the pants, as having the core of my body warm is more than enough in 40' temps to keep me warm.

Old 04-14-2011 | 08:57 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior

I have an older style vest, and my wife has the new jacket. Hers is a little more "even" in the heat, but I'm very happy with mine. I just sent it to Gerbings to have the plugs changed to the new style so I don't have to use an adapter to go into the dual controller. I have the gloves as well, and 35 degree morning rides to work for ~50 minutes are pretty tolerable.

Old 04-14-2011 | 09:05 AM
bellgnte
Road Master

I can't compare them but I have the older style jacket liner and so does my wife. Reallly amazing stuff. I ordered it from their outlet store to save a few $$ and I was pleasantly suprised. The liner is very warm. All this coming from one very thin dude that gets cold rather quicly. My gloves are the microwire. They rock just as much. I do only use a single controller because I figure I can always unzip the coat a bit if I get too hot.....if that is really a problem when it is cold out

Old 04-14-2011 | 09:11 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

I would get the microwire (new) style. You are going to have them for a long time. Now is an excellent time of year to be looking as the winter season is coming to an end. Keep checking on heatedclothingoutlet.com for bargains.

Old 04-14-2011 | 09:55 AM
jberg
Road Warrior

If the prices are the same then get the new stuff for sure.
If you're looking at a significant bargain I can tell you that the older stuff will keep you just as warm as the new stuff.
Might take a few extra seconds to warm or be a tiny bit less even but you'll never notice either and you'll still be able to keep your lunch warm in your pocket if you want to.

Old 04-14-2011 | 11:31 AM
kipd
Tourer

I have both the old and the new style liners, both keep you plenty warm, biggest difference is the new style heats more evenly, and weighs a bit less. Other than that, let price be the driving force.

Old 04-14-2011 | 11:42 AM
Emdog
Cruiser

X2 kipd. I have both as my latest bike purchase came with the new style jacket. I prefer the newer style as it does a little better with "evenness" of warmth, but if you find a used older style at a "good price" I think you will be happy. Brand new go for newer style.

Old 04-14-2011 | 12:06 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member

I just bought a new style and gave my old style away before using the new style. If I had to do it over I would have kept my old style and not bought a new one. Riding in
30* temps my old one was just as good. I liked that my old one I could use my heated gloves with out adding a splitter. I don't use the rheostat so i am stuck running a splitter so have more cords then I want. The new one heats up very fast but my old one heated up plenty fast enough.

Old 04-14-2011 | 05:13 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member

I had old style jacket liner and pants liner jacket went bad got new micro wire still using the same pants liner occasionally, new jacket liner is better but I can do without pants liner, instead I use Winter Silk long johns made of cashmere and silk mix very light weight but very effective. Freezing temps whole heated liners with heated socks is must.

Quick Reply: Anybody have the older style Gerbings jacket vs new?