Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RePaint a 2011 Street Glide CVO?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Tinsleytown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RePaint a 2011 Street Glide CVO?

Prolly gonna get a lot of negative responses on this... (sorry for the long post)

My bud has a 2011 Street Glide CVO with the Two-tone Black Diamond / Inferno Orange paint scheme... when he bought it, the local dealer assured him there would not be any other bikes like his sold in the area... they we're too rare. As of last weekend the dealer has sold 3 more bikes identical to his. Every where we ride, there's another cvo just like his. Now he's pissed... he thought he was buying a bike not many others will have. Now there are 4 in a 50 mile radius.

Anyway, he has thought about painting his entire bike black diamond. The dealership tells him it will greatly reduce the value of the bike because it is no longer a CVO without the stock paint. The dealer suggested (if he really wants to paint it) buying all new tins and keeping the CVO tins for when/if he sells it.

Questions: How much does it devalue the bike to paint it? Does it devalue it more than the cost of new tins with paint? Is the dealer full of **** and does it really matter?

He likes a lot for the extras that come with the CVO and knows it would cost more to buy a stock SG and make it comparable to the CVO.

Feedback welcomed, no matter how harsh it is

Old 04-13-2011, 08:44 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

......... get new tins, keep the CVO ones.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

His call, if unique is that important to him then go for it. His cash, his choice. I ride a black RKC so I got over similar color HD's a looong time ago.

As to choices I really have no idea of value impact. Sounds like he has the means, I would vote go with the dealers suggestion and save the original tins.

Flame? Naw......it's his choice, he is the one that feels unique is that important so what do I care.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:47 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the salesman laid a bunch bullshit on him theres 4 dealers with in a 60 mile radius of where i live and each dealer had one or still has one. your buddy should have known how long has been riding. anyone that rides knows CVOs are not 1 of a kind they may be hard to get but if u want one bad enough u will find one. as far changing the tins thats a waste cuz its gonna set him back some dead presidents i personally dont think the value will drop just cuz he paints it. just ride the dam thing and enjoy it who cares who else has one like his. just my 2 cents.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:07 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

It's a motorcycle, not an investment.. Harleys don't retain value like they used to.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:12 PM
sageone
Advanced

You definitely don't buy a CVO because it is rare or unique. Folks buy CVO's because they are decked out and gorgeous straight from the factory. I could care less if there were 5 or 55 within a 50 mile radius. I didn't buy one because I'm too damn cheap.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:16 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

I think his color bike is one of the best CVO. I would leave it as is. That's the chance you take when buying a new bike. How many black bikes are out there. Good luck

Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 PM
rerb95
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe I'm confused but he bought his bike for a investment? Wrong choice! As far as being unique, change something then... if he bought it cause he liked the color, then keep the color, maybe change the bars or the wheels? He could always add some original pinstripping? Just a thought but if he bought the bike to be unique then he bought the wrong bike... Those CVO models are everywhere, they tell you that stuff to get you to buy the bike, they are incredible and there is little if anything that he would HAVE to do, but if he wants it original, then there are still things that he could do...

Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Tinsleytown
Cruiser

I told him to paint it if it bothered him that much... something is only worth what someone is willing to pay you for it.

The dealership has him all worried that he's ruining the value of the bike.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:29 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

F no.

Quick Reply: RePaint a 2011 Street Glide CVO?