Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RePaint a 2011 Street Glide CVO?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:49 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

this is the best option--you are correct --- everywhere we ride there is a blk/orange CVO SG or a clone
Originally Posted by groupw
......... get new tins, keep the CVO ones.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:03 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 340 Likes on 205 Posts

If I bought a CVO I'd change over to Black anyhow. More of a sleeper that way. Colour doesn't make it go faster (or slower) and I can't really see it.

I'd say spend the cash on opening up the 110".

Just my opinion.

H

Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 AM
RGB11
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadgliderick
the salesman laid a bunch bullshit on him theres 4 dealers with in a 60 mile radius of where i live and each dealer had one or still has one. your buddy should have known how long has been riding. anyone that rides knows CVOs are not 1 of a kind they may be hard to get but if u want one bad enough u will find one. as far changing the tins thats a waste cuz its gonna set him back some dead presidents i personally dont think the value will drop just cuz he paints it. just ride the dam thing and enjoy it who cares who else has one like his. just my 2 cents.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:10 AM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One way to think about it is what would be the cost of a new paint job? A friend of mine inquired into repainting a set of tins and bags for a streetglide. The going price was between $4000 and the sky as the limit. You can buy the custom paint sets from harley for around $5000 with a discount and keep your originals. Seems like an obvious choice to me.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:33 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004 Road King
Jesus it's a motorcycle not a Picasso. Resale value is not what it used to be and most of us drop 5-10K in extras into a bike and get none of that back. You buy a bike to ride not to wonder what it's value might turn out to be when you sell it because you have to have the next great bike.
What does the Lord have to do with it?

Old 04-14-2011, 09:36 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno... I like to post about whatever bike you "have to get" at the dealer is the one you should get. I love the CVO bikes. But Harely sure is proud of them judging by the sticker. My Vivid Black SG is my first bike, and I love it. Within the next year will I have put enough into the bike to make it as "expensive" as a CVO, yeah. But Something about a black bike. I know a rare 2010 VB SG isn't rare, but I still love everything about my bike. You know why you see a lot of Orange and Black CVOs? Because it's one of the best paint jobs they have ever offered.

Hope your buddy makes his bike to what makes him happy. It's his bike, and he is the one that has to look at it and smile. Who cares what others think.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:38 AM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2010
talk about a dime a dozen black street glides. I wouldn't change the color for anything. LOL
+1

Old 04-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

To be brutally honest, your buddy seems to have some personality issues.
He wants to be unique, but he bought a factory bike.....and now he's crying because somebody else has a bike just like him. waa waa waa

I agree with him in buying the CVO to begin with, I have more in mine than a CVO costs and still don’t have a custom paint scheme. Or the resale of a CVO.

Now your questions:
How much does it devalue the bike to paint it? I would say between the cost of the CVO and adding a custom paint job, he will be disappointed for sure.
Does it devalue it more than the cost of new tins with paint? Yes he would be doubling his losses on money spent. The bikes worth 3 grand less and the paint is 4 grand more.
Is the dealer full of **** and does it really matter? No and no.

What would I do if I was him and seriously want to be different?
Keep the original tins. Get a custom paint job on new or used set of tins. But he is gonna have to be willing to spend at least 7 grand.
But when it’s time for him to sell or trade in the bike, put the original tins back on (no loss on resale) and then sell his custom painted tins (to recoup some of his costs).

Old 04-14-2011, 09:41 AM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trade tin with someone with a black SG, at least he won't be paying for a new paint job and will end up with factory paint...just a thought

Old 04-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Tinsleytown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he's not crying about it, it's not that he has to be unique, or thinks he was buying the only CVO in the state, or is struggling with some personality disorder that makes him have a seizure when he sees another CVO... just looking to personalize his bike.

Last edited by Tinsleytown; 04-14-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: RePaint a 2011 Street Glide CVO?