Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RePaint a 2011 Street Glide CVO?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:51 PM
hdelectra
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If he wants to be totally unique, either paint the stock tins or get new tins and paint them.

The downside, the stock CVO paint scheme accounts for about $5000 of the price of the bike (not that it costs HD that much though)

Old 04-14-2011, 12:00 AM
INZANE
Tourer

I would sell all the tins,fairing...etc. as is or keep them, and paint a new cheaper set.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:45 AM
TexasJR
Tourer

Originally Posted by roadgliderick
this is what i would have bought 999 made.
If you buy a CVO, don't kid yourself....it's not an investment. It's a motorcycle! I bought mine because it was BLACK! The fact that there were only 999 made is an afterthought. (the current production run of the mid-year CVO Ultra Classics..the Cobalt Blue one is less than 999, but they don't have a serial # on them) When you walk into the HD dealer over and over and see a bunch of bikes, and then one day you see one and go WOW..that's the bike "I" want, then that's the bike you should buy!

I am sure there were a LOT of reasons your friend bought the CVO, not just because he thought there would only be a few of them. I don't care how many of those things there are....that orange and black street glide is bad a$$ looking bike! Either way, some people are going to drool over it and others will dismiss it as BS. But if he get's on it and loves riding it, who gives a feces what anyone else thinks.

BUT....I would not paint it. Aside from the whole holding it's value thing (not an investment, but I do think the CVOs hold their value a LITTLE better), if I were looking at BUYING it down the road, no matter HOW bad he made it look, I would be asking myself "what the hell did he hit...or how many times did he drop it....because surely he would not have painted those black and orange tins for no reason"!!

Old 04-14-2011, 05:59 AM
joslinj
Advanced

Technically each CVO is different. All the flames and stripes are hand painted, which I am sure no painter can duplicate the exact same thing twice. Arnt al of our bikes different when they are stock? Some come with tight compensator bolts and some with loose ones, some with full oil, and some with half....All unique in their own way

Old 04-14-2011, 06:59 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, if he paints it black, like you said, he definitely will look like alot of other bikes.

If he paints it...YES, it will definitly kill the resale.

I really don't know what to say, other than modify the bike to make it different, but leave the paint as is.

~Joe

Old 04-14-2011, 07:10 AM
BLK08ROCKERC
Road Captain

This is the very reason I didn't buy a CVO bike. That is a lot of money for a bike that looks just like many others.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:18 AM
2004 Road King
Cruiser

Jesus it's a motorcycle not a Picasso. Resale value is not what it used to be and most of us drop 5-10K in extras into a bike and get none of that back. You buy a bike to ride not to wonder what it's value might turn out to be when you sell it because you have to have the next great bike.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:38 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Keep the thing and ride it. You can buy a bunch of gas for the cost of a repaint plus the down time. Just don't wave back to the other matching CVO's to help make you feel better! Who'd a thunk a dealer would fib to sell a bike.

Adam

Old 04-14-2011, 08:02 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,160 Likes on 22,595 Posts

If he has that much $$$$$ to begin with and only bought the bike to look unique, then he should order NEW TINS and have them painted to what he wants and pack away the original tins and call it good.
Geez, what a worry... to look like a few others... my my..

Old 04-14-2011, 08:38 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds to me like your buddy has more money than brains.

Quick Reply: RePaint a 2011 Street Glide CVO?